Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jagkris

POWER Query for continuous table append

I have scenario where I combine tables manualy as its created and publish the reports ,I was wondering if there is a way to automate the table append continously as soon new tables are created in Azure table storage after publishing the reports on POWER BI online,If data updates happens in the same published table POWER BI is updated automaticaly even after publishing but when new table is created its not automatic untill I append the published table with newly created table data manualy or through a query.

Would appreciate any method to append tables with new tables data which are created after publishing for auto update.

3 REPLIES 3
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jagkris ,

Because of environmental constraints, I could not use Azure table storage, so I used SQL Server data source for testing. The specific steps are as follows.

1. First select a table in the database, import and transform data.

vkkfmsft_0-1643792130324.png

2. You can see that the table has been imported, next delete the steps in the APPLIED STEPS pane until it presents the database contents. (In my example, for the source step)

vkkfmsft_1-1643792162902.png

vkkfmsft_2-1643792195869.png

3. Click on the Table of the Data column. Then you can see that it will show all the tables in the database.

vkkfmsft_3-1643792220915.png

4. Remove the other columns and keep the Data column. Then expand the Data column, which will merge these 4 tables.

vkkfmsft_4-1643792244676.png

vkkfmsft_6-1643792300691.png

5. Add a new table "New Table Test" to the database.

vkkfmsft_8-1643792776602.png

6. Refresh the Power BI Desktop, the new table will be automatically merged into the previous data.

vkkfmsft_7-1643792764826.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Winniz,

Thanks for the comment,as I said,POWER BI gets data directly after a refrsh from Azure storage directly,but if a new table is created in Azure storage which is not referenced then its not updating the published reports with latest data as new table is not referenced in the query or BI desktop,I understand we can migrate to SQL then publish the report but I want to fullyautomate directly from Azure storage without any SQL by using just power Query.I referenced the new table name but its not accepting and throwing error,I think I may found a solution by creating a new dummy table names for next 12 months and then run the power query and publish the report to see if its updating on Azure without an error.This is just an idea,I will see if this works.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@jagkris Only connector with that kind of functionality that I know of is the Folder connector.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors