Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SwiatLudzieTy
Helper I
Helper I

PBI vs Tableau data load performance

Hello,

for my case I need to load 10 quite large tables from Teradata to PBI. I have already reduced PQ transformations to minimum (each query applies Query Folding), but the load is still very slow and after around 4h queries are aborted by the source. Tableau successfully executed the same 10 queries and imported the data under 50 minutes. These were ran on the same machine.

What is the reason behind it? Is Tableau data load simply more efficient or am I missing something here? 

Thanks, Kamil

5 REPLIES 5
smpa01
Super User
Super User

@SwiatLudzieTy  while transporting the tables, can you write sever-side query (Terdadata SQL) rather than simply relying on PQ to do the job. If you do that, it will not oblige Query folding (you will still be fine) but it will transport faster.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs

Hello @smpa01, it is slightly faster indeed, but unfortunately the overall score is still very bad. Good to know this trick though. Thanks! Kamil

If the server-side query is fully optimized, you will experience faster load.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

"It depends"

Can we see your code?

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Hello @watkinnc, what exactly would you like to see? The code is very simple it's just SQL query as below used in Teradata connector.

select A, B, C, D, E, F
from Table A

Please let me know if there's anything else worth to share. Kamil

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors