Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI Desktop connect to Azure via Proxy

We've just set up an Azure Data warehouse and i'm making my first connections to this data.  Connecting to this Data Warehouse via Power BI service was fine.  Trying to connect via the Desktop is providing me with a timeout error.  From what I can see, Power BI is attempting to get to Azure directly, rather than through the Proxy Server.  Our Firewall is blocking this.

Is it possible for me to configure the Power BI desktop to make use of the proxy?  Should I be grovelling to our network guys to convince them to open something in the firewall?  What is best practice here?

EDIT:  Just to head off some questions. The firewall that is blocking the connection is the company firewall, not the Azure one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

I am afraid that Power BI Desktop is not proxy aware, there is a similar idea about this issue, please vote it up.

Meanwhile, please check if  the solution described in this similar thread works for you.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

I am afraid that Power BI Desktop is not proxy aware, there is a similar idea about this issue, please vote it up.

Meanwhile, please check if  the solution described in this similar thread works for you.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, that thread didn't help for our situation but the lack of Proxy awareness is a massive issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How about this solution? 

I tried it and it worked for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It didn't work for me, but perhaps i've done something wrong.  This is the steps i took:

1. Created a new empty file called Microsoft.Mashup.Container.exe.config
  2. Using Notepad++ i've copied in the code from your link into this config file and saved
  3. I've coped this config file into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin
  4. I've loaded up Power BI and opened a project file whose connections are to a database in Azure
  5. I have gone into Edit Queries to test the connection, recieving the usual error.  (This file works on my Azure VM)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ross73312, that process looks correct. The only potential gap I see: the solution I proposed assumes you are able to authenticate through your proxy via the Windows Active Directory credentials associated with the user session you're using Power BI Desktop on (which implies that Power BI Desktop reads those same credentials as the "default credentials".

If that's not the case in your environment, then I'd recommend:

A) Determing how you can authenticate through the proxy in your environment.

B) Using these docs to modify the proxy config file you created.

This solution takes advantage of the same method used to configure the On-Premises Data Gateway for ....

It's too bad Power BI doesn't yet have a front-end UI interface for configuring proxy awareness. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous  Yes thats how our environment works, sadly the process doesn't work for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous   hi Ross, did you manage to resolve the proxy issue? We're experiencing the same here and still pondering our options. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No.  I use a VM RDP hosted in Azure for my data refreshing.  Our network guys think they might be able to do a solution eventually but i'm not really across the details.  Nothing positive has occured so far because i think the Azure IP address change frequently, which is what any networking solution would rely upon.

Hi,

I'm running into the same issue. I think my company proxy is using NTML.

I tried 2 solutions:

1:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <system.net>
    <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true">
      <proxy usesystemdefault="true"/>
    </defaultProxy>
  </system.net>
</configuration>

2:

<configuration>
  <system.net>
    <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="false">
      <proxy
        usesystemdefault="true"
        proxyaddress="http://user:password@mycompanyproxyaddress:80"
      />
    </defaultProxy>
  </system.net>
</configuration>

Where can I go now... ?

Many thanks

Hi,

I'm running into the same issue with PBI and the Big Query connector.

I created the Microsoft.Mashup.Container.exe.config file with no success...

My proxy is using NTLM.

I tried two solutions:

1:

<configuration>
  <system.net>
    <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="false">
      <proxy
        usesystemdefault="true"
        proxyaddress="http://user:password@mycompanyproxyaddress:80"
      />
    </defaultProxy>
  </system.net>
</configuration>

2:

<configuration>
  <system.net>
    <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true">
      <proxy usesystemdefault="true"/>
    </defaultProxy>
  </system.net>
</configuration>

Where could I go now.... ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors