Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Oracle Data Source in Enterprise Gateway

I'm having trouble adding an Oracle database as a data source in the enterprise gateway. The error message I get is below:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to SERVER_NAME. Details: "Cannot connect to the mashup data source. See error details for more information."Hide details

Activity ID:03e50d90-a4ee-4a5a-96c5-7dfe93a5ef4f
Request ID:522f1644-0873-dd0c-719c-9d06e3972ddf
Cluster URI:https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:400
Error Code:DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError
Time:Wed May 04 2016 14:48:55 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Version:13.0.1100.480
Underlying error code:-2147467259
Underlying error message:The provider being used is deprecated: 'System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.'. Please visit https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=272376 to install the offical provider.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:-2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason:DataSource.Error

I can confirm that I have the latest ODAC components installed on both the client machine and the server where the enterprise gateway is installed. I have also tested connecting to the data source through Power BI Desktop and it works just fine.

Any ideas? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @dimazaid, I managed to solve this by using the Oracle service name found in tnsnames.ora instead of using the full hostname.

So instead of putting "HOSTNAME" in the "Server" field, all I had to do was put in the service name. For reference, the syntax of a tnsnames.ora entry is:

SERVICENAME =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TYPE)(HOST = HOSTNAME)(PORT = PORTNUM))

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVICE_NAME = SERVICENAME)

)

)

Thanks, I forgot to mark this one as solved!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

hi @wonga,
Could you try using your own account to use the Gateway? and refresh again. 
If that works, you should reinstall the oracle components in a way that ensures the service account for the Gateway has access to them.

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @dimazaid, I managed to solve this by using the Oracle service name found in tnsnames.ora instead of using the full hostname.

So instead of putting "HOSTNAME" in the "Server" field, all I had to do was put in the service name. For reference, the syntax of a tnsnames.ora entry is:

SERVICENAME =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TYPE)(HOST = HOSTNAME)(PORT = PORTNUM))

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVICE_NAME = SERVICENAME)

)

)

Thanks, I forgot to mark this one as solved!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors