Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mellofla

Onedrive CSV data refresh

I have a very simple CSV file with attendees from an event. That file get's updated a couple times a day.

PowerBI report is not refreshing the charts, even though the data seems to be updated. Am I missing something?

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have a similar problem with an xlsx file on our sharepoint online folder.

In my report is also a Azure-SQL Datasource.

Cache Update is set to 15 minutes.

But Cache Update is not working for xlsx file and even more strange for Azure-SQL Datasource.

Log is showing that cache update is running every 15 mins. on Azure-SQL succesfully. But onedrive Update is not happending.

Any idea where the problem could be?

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Beat

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found out that something with my dataset was "corrupt". I decided to rebuild the report from scratch and copied the visuals into the new report. Then I published it and it works now!

Is there somewhere a detailed log file about cache refresh as I think the service was not able to refresh and threw an error but this was nowhere to see.

Please let me know if anybody had same issues.

Thanks

Beat

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mellofla,

How do you connect to the CSV file from Power BI? If you firstly connect to CSV file from Power BI Desktop and then upload the Power BI Desktop file to Service and configure OneDrive refresh. When you add new measures, change column names, or edit visualizations in Power BI Desktop file, once you save, those changes will be updated in Power BI , usually within about an hour. When you make changes in the CSV file, you can only manually refresh the dataset by using Refresh now or set up a refresh schedule by using Schedule Refresh.

However, if you want to make OneDrive hourly refresh work after making changes to CSV file, please directly connect to the CSV file located at OneDrive for Business from Power BI Service rather than from Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you scheduled an actual time for the refresh?  I've made that mistake before where i had linked to a file on my one-drive and checked that it was "Connect Directly" in the Gateway connection but i hadn't scheduled the refresh itself.  It should look something like this:

Capture.PNG

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mellofla,

How do you connect to the CSV file from Power BI? Do you directly connect to CSV file in Power BI Service and then configure OneDrive refresh or you firstly connect to CSV file from Power BI Desktop and then publish Power BI Desktop file to Service?

Moreover, have you checked that if there are any error messages in Refresh history?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Well, this is a simple CSV file that is actually on our documents folder within a Group I am an Admin. Data is there, but the graphic/charts don't update. If I edit the report and add a new chart with other piece of data, it uses the latest. It is almos like the chart is cached and doesn't change.

I believe the default refresh for Onedrive is 1x per day - but that this can now be optioned to more frequently.

I don't use a OneDrive connections so can't explain where the option feature is - but I believe was Guy In The Cube video mentioned this month.

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors