Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joerykeizer
Helper II
Helper II

On-premises gateway in second account

Hi,

I'm trying to share a gateway between two accounts. 

First account is fine but on the second account I cannot select it for refresh (greyed out). It's the exact same dataset in both accounts. Gateway is online and good to go in both accounts as well. 

Why isn't this working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @joerykeizer,

In your sceanrio, as the second account published the report by himeself, then  you would need to add the second account under the Users tab of the SQL data source in Power BI Service. This way, he will be able to view reports of the dataset, and as you connect to SQL Server via DirectQuery mode, the dataset is always up-to-date, there is no option to schedule refresh for this dataset.

1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @joerykeizer

Please verify the following  things.

1. Is the second account a Pro account?

2. Do you add the second account as administrator of the on-premises gateway?
1.PNG

3. What data sources are contained in your dataset? Please make sure that you have added all the data sources under the gateway. 

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your response.

1. Yes, albeit a trial.

2. Yes.

3. Mostly SQL/Excel sources. For the second account the gateway already was visible with all sources added (because it was added as administrator I guess?). I checked to be sure and it doesn't seem to miss anything. De refresh is available for the first account so I don't get why it doesn't for the 2nd. 

Hi @joerykeizer,

Does the second user create a same dataset using his credential? How does second user connect to these data sources in Power BI Desktop?

Connection strings(server name, database name, excel path) of data sources under gateway should match that connection srtings of data sources in Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

Basically, I manage both accounts. I have the .pbix file open in the desktop, upload it to account 1, switch accounts and upload it again. So the files should be identical. I just tried doing this to a direct query database and I get:

Capture.PNG

However, when I log into the second account the gateway is visible and seems good to go. I didn't add that gateway, it was already there. I assume because I added the second account as administrator to the gateway.

Capture2.PNG

Thanks!

Hi @joerykeizer,

What type of credential do you use when you connect to SQL database using DirectQuery mode in Power BI Desktop?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Database credentials, if that is what you mean. I'm not entirely sure 🙂

Hi @joerykeizer,

In your sceanrio, as the second account published the report by himeself, then  you would need to add the second account under the Users tab of the SQL data source in Power BI Service. This way, he will be able to view reports of the dataset, and as you connect to SQL Server via DirectQuery mode, the dataset is always up-to-date, there is no option to schedule refresh for this dataset.

1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

That was it, I needed to add the second account as a user for all data sources.

Thank you for your time and effort!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors