Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

On premise webserver via Enterprise Gateway

I am using an internal onpremise website as a datasource. I can connect to this using Power BI Desktop to import the data.

Once published, the dataset is not refreshing. I understand the Service cannot see the onpremise website, but should this be something the Enterprise or Personal gateway can act as a proxy for?

Does anyone do this now? It's not working for me but that could be because I've done something wrong. I just want to know if it's technically possible.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Phil_Seamark

According to the BOL On-premises data gateway, Web type is in supported list.

And based on my test, both personal gateway and on-premises data gateway work,  I can refresh the dataset connecting to a on-premises website via both. Just add a data source as web like other on-premises source in the on-premises data gateway and configure the gateway connection in the dataset in Power BI Service.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Phil_Seamark

According to the BOL On-premises data gateway, Web type is in supported list.

And based on my test, both personal gateway and on-premises data gateway work,  I can refresh the dataset connecting to a on-premises website via both. Just add a data source as web like other on-premises source in the on-premises data gateway and configure the gateway connection in the dataset in Power BI Service.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Phil_Seamark Haven't really faced this scenario before but if you look here you can see Web data source is available with data gateway and so perhaps you can open up your internal site only for specific port and use web data source (just thinking out loud). Also sharepoint list is also available and so if you have sharepoint maybe you can hae your internal website converted to sharepoint list or maybe work out a way to download data from internal website to file on-premise and then use that. As said I've not came across that situation before but above are few options I can think of. Hope that helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors