Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

CoboleiroBr
Helper I
Helper I

On-Premises - Problem connecting to a spreadsheet in Sharepoint

Hello!

I have a report connected to a spreadsheet in Sharepoint, as Web data source.

Everything is ok, but when I try to add a new data source to On-Premises Data Gateway, I get an error of "invalid connection credentials". 

- I'm already using On-Premises Data Gateway with success for other data sources;

- The username/password are the same that I use to connect to Sharepoint

What I'm doing wrong? Any tips?

Thanks!

Erro.png

Erro2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@CoboleiroBr,

Yes. If your dataset only contains the Excel data source, gateway is not required to refresh your dataset.

In Power BI Service, go to Settings->Datasets and find your dataset, you should find that Power BI Service connect directly to your data source, after you edit the credential for your data source, you are able to set schedule refresh for the dataset. This way, when data is changed in the spreadsheet, the new data will be automatically refreshed on Power BI report.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@CoboleiroBr,

Do you connect to the Excel stored on On-Premises SharePoint site in Power BI? If so, when you connect to the Excel file in Power BI Desktop, please use Windows authentication following the guide in this similar thread.

And when you add the Excel data source within gateway, please also use Windows authentication, also make sure that  you are able to access the SharePoint Site  in the machine that installed on-premises gateway using your Windows account and password.

In addition, if you connect to Excel file located at online SharePoint, gateway is not required.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-yuezhe-msft !

Thanks for your answer.

I'm using the first method indicated in that thread and the spreadsheet is at online Sharepoint.

So, it's not necessary to add the data source in the gateway? It means that if someone update that spreadsheet, the new data will be automatically refreshed on Power BI report?

@CoboleiroBr,

Yes. If your dataset only contains the Excel data source, gateway is not required to refresh your dataset.

In Power BI Service, go to Settings->Datasets and find your dataset, you should find that Power BI Service connect directly to your data source, after you edit the credential for your data source, you are able to set schedule refresh for the dataset. This way, when data is changed in the spreadsheet, the new data will be automatically refreshed on Power BI report.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors