Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cw87
Frequent Visitor

On Premises Date Gateway Problem

I am recently taking over the administration of our PBI On Premise Gateway on our server for a new job.

The gateway was originally setup by a different user but I am unable to access it from the Gateway application.

- "The gateway is not running on your computer"

This is confusing me as it is definitely installed on this particular server as I can see the service running.

The other user who set it up is also able to access it from his logon, however it is my responsibility now to take it over.

Have you encountered this problem before?

I would appreciate any advise on this matter.

Thanks

Chris

11 REPLIES 11
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@cw87,

How do you take over the administration of the gateway?

You are added as an administrator of the configured gateway in Power BI Service by the user who set gateway up, right? If so, you can directly add data sources within the gateway in Power BI Service. Why do you want to access the gateway from its application?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Mainly because it is another way to check the operation of the gateway, from the Power BI service but also from the configuration on the server itself.

I will also be in charge of updating the gateway from the server so I want to know why it does not show up for my admin account.

Chris

@cw87

Could you please describe more details about that how you take over the administration of the gateway? You can post screenshot  here.

Based on my test, when adding my colleague as the admin of the gateway I have configure, she is able to update the gateway in the server that install gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia, I mean I am in charge of the database server that is hosting the PBI Data Gateway now. I need to do a Gateway software update on this server but I am unable to locate it through the PBI Gateway Configuration software:

No Gateway.PNG

The gateway is operational (I can see this through the PBI Online Service ("Manage Gateways") and I can see the service running on the server itself:

Service Running.png

Do you understand what I mean?

Thanks again,

Chris

@cw87,

Restart gateway service and check if you can sign in gateway configurator. If you still get error, please export log and share log here.

Regards,
Lydia

I can restart the service, but I am still getting the same message that there 'are no gateways' when there definetly is.

Which log are you refering to, the windows server log?

@cw87

Export log in the screenshot below.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have configured gateway service in vdi platform.Its working when i logged as administrator but not working for users.Could you please help on this.

1)Tried to configure gateway service as domain admin

2)Restarted the service

3)folder have enough permission

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.ConfigurationContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.GetConfiguration()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GetConfiguration()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GetConfiguration()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.ConfiguratorInitializationContextFactory.<GetConfiguratorStateAsync>d__2.MoveNext()'
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Exception thrown during GetConfiguration: 'Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClientException: Error retrieving gateway configuration. Please ensure your gateway is running on the local computer and it is updated to the latest version.
Exception message: Access is denied. ---> System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityAccessDeniedException: Access is denied.

Server stack trace:
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.ConfigurationContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.GetConfiguration()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.ConfiguratorInitializationContextFactory.<GetConfiguratorStateAsync>d__2.MoveNext()'
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Exception thrown during GetConfiguration: 'Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClientException: Error retrieving gateway configuration. Please ensure your gateway is running on the local computer and it is updated to the latest version.
Exception message: Access is denied. ---> System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityAccessDeniedException: Access is denied.

I'm not sure if I will be able to share a log on a public site.

Do you think this problem could be because of a Personal Gateway being used rather than an Enterprise Gateway being installed?

Thanks again,

Chris

this is the issue which need to rectify to skip from evesdropper which protects our network to keep it secured. 

Gateway is the network device which protects our network from evesdropper to keep secure. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors