Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

On-Premises Data Gateway - issues with multiple domains

Doing a POC with a customer recently we had an issue installing the gateway in a domain that was different to the Azure tenancy being used. 

1. Domain A - Staff and Azure subs
  2. Domain B - Users and on-premise server hosting

We attempted to install the DG on a server in domain B, and used a user registered in domain A to install the gateway. Everything was successful and could see the correct tenancy IDs in the property files etc, however the gateway could not be located in the Azure sub being used for the POC.

Eventually we installed a DG on a machine in domain A and reused the user and everything worked correctly.

I have read all the documentation & troubleshooting articles and there is no mention of multiple domain issues.

Anyone know if this multi domain setup is supported?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi nikolaiblackie,

We are facing exact same scenario. Were you able to resolve this in the end?

I could not find much help or documentation regarding this setup.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous sorry I don't have much more detail than is contained in this issue.

In the end I believe everything came down to confusion regarding which identity needed to be used to register the data gateway, that identity needs access to the Azure Subscriptions where you will install the Azure gateway.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

however the gateway could not be located in the Azure sub being used for the POC.

@Anonymous,

Do you get error message when adding data source within the gateway in Power BI Service? What is the detailed error message?

When you install gateway on a server in domain B, just make sure that you are able to access data source of domain A from this server(you can use Power BI Desktop to test the connection), this way , you can successfully add data source within gateway.

Reagrds,

Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue is with the creation of a gateway in Azure subscriptions. The data gateway was not registered with the Azure subscription. Only when we installed the DG in another domain did it correctly registered.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors