Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WonderMonkey

On-Premise Data Gateway - Using The Data - I'm struggling

Hello all. I know this question has been asked before and I've read those, and tried to find others, and I'm not getting it.  I'm sure it's because I'm just getting going with this.  Hopefully.

We have the On-Premise Data Gateway installed on a server and configured. Pretend we have a database connection setup and it is named "Sales Data Prod". When I go to my online Power BI (free version) I can SEE the Gateway when I go to "Settings -> Manage Gateways". I click on "Test all connections" and get the "Connection Successful" green check mark. Now..... how do I consume that data?

I have read that Power BI Desktop needs to be installed and one can consume the data that way, upload the project and then if everything is named right it should work. Super! If that is the case I don't see in the Power BI Desktop how to add a named (On-premise Data Gateway name) connection.

Is Power BI Pro required to use both the On-Premise Data Gateway as well as the Personal version? Or just the personal version?

I know there are a few questions in the above but it all revolves around installing, configuring, and using local SQL Server data online, and right now I'm using the Power BI Free version.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @WonderMonkey,

1. We have the On-Premise Data Gateway installed on a server and configured. Pretend we have a database connection setup and it is named "Sales Data Prod". When I go to my online Power BI (free version) I can SEE the Gateway when I go to "Settings -> Manage Gateways". I click on "Test all connections" and get the "Connection Successful" green check mark. Now..... how do I consume that data?

As far as I know, if the report using on-premise data gateway, and another use personal gateway, anyone consuming or interacting with either of those reports would need a Power BI Pro license. See: Power BI Pro content - what is it?.

In your scenario, if you are Pro Trail user or Pro user and there is a report published in service requires data gateway, you can go to the Settings ->Datasets-> Gateway connection, check the available data gateway. Make sure the connection used in data gateway data source is the same as used in dataset. You can refer to this sample: Manage your data source - SQL Server.

2. I have read that Power BI Desktop needs to be installed and one can consume the data that way, upload the project and then if everything is named right it should work. Super! If that is the case I don't see in the Power BI Desktop how to add a named (On-premise Data Gateway name) connection.

Power BI Desktop is used for creating a report, while the on-premises data gateway acts as a bridge, providing quick and secure data transfer between on-premises data (data that is not in the cloud) and the Power BI Service. If we publish a report from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Service, if this report requires data gateway, then we need to create a data source under Manage Gateways to make sure the connection. Actually, there is no direct relationship between Power BI Desktop and on-premise data gateway. I would suggest you take a look at this article to know more about data gateway: On-premises data gateway.

3. Is Power BI Pro required to use both the On-Premise Data Gateway as well as the Personal version? Or just the personal version?

To decide if you need on-premise data gateway or personal gateway, it depends on the data source type used in the report. You can see the link mentioned in point 2 to see when to use on-premise data gateway, and refer to this article to see when to use personal gateway: Power BI Gateway - Personal.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @WonderMonkey,

1. We have the On-Premise Data Gateway installed on a server and configured. Pretend we have a database connection setup and it is named "Sales Data Prod". When I go to my online Power BI (free version) I can SEE the Gateway when I go to "Settings -> Manage Gateways". I click on "Test all connections" and get the "Connection Successful" green check mark. Now..... how do I consume that data?

As far as I know, if the report using on-premise data gateway, and another use personal gateway, anyone consuming or interacting with either of those reports would need a Power BI Pro license. See: Power BI Pro content - what is it?.

In your scenario, if you are Pro Trail user or Pro user and there is a report published in service requires data gateway, you can go to the Settings ->Datasets-> Gateway connection, check the available data gateway. Make sure the connection used in data gateway data source is the same as used in dataset. You can refer to this sample: Manage your data source - SQL Server.

2. I have read that Power BI Desktop needs to be installed and one can consume the data that way, upload the project and then if everything is named right it should work. Super! If that is the case I don't see in the Power BI Desktop how to add a named (On-premise Data Gateway name) connection.

Power BI Desktop is used for creating a report, while the on-premises data gateway acts as a bridge, providing quick and secure data transfer between on-premises data (data that is not in the cloud) and the Power BI Service. If we publish a report from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Service, if this report requires data gateway, then we need to create a data source under Manage Gateways to make sure the connection. Actually, there is no direct relationship between Power BI Desktop and on-premise data gateway. I would suggest you take a look at this article to know more about data gateway: On-premises data gateway.

3. Is Power BI Pro required to use both the On-Premise Data Gateway as well as the Personal version? Or just the personal version?

To decide if you need on-premise data gateway or personal gateway, it depends on the data source type used in the report. You can see the link mentioned in point 2 to see when to use on-premise data gateway, and refer to this article to see when to use personal gateway: Power BI Gateway - Personal.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Qiuyun Yu,

Thank you for the response.  I've read through your thoughts and links and it has been a great help.  I've saved off the reply and links for future reference.

Again, Thanks.

Regards,

Michael Henry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors