Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bert631
Frequent Visitor

On-Premise Data Gateway: Data source access error

I'm trying to link the Power BI app to my on premise SSAS cube by using the Data Gateway, but the dataset returns an error:

Data source access error. Please contact the gateway administrator

1. I've installed the latest Data Gateway on the server and configured succesful a Gateway.

2. In Power BI, I found back the Gateway in "Manage Gateways" and the status = "Online".

Next step was to add the "Data Source" with status: "Online: You are good to go".

3. Choose "Get Data" - Databases - SSAS - Connect

I see the Data Source and it will show all Cubes in the Database

I select one + Connect. But the new Data Set always showns above error.

-> In all steps, I've used the same username (we use AD Connect to sync our AD with O365).

-> I verified all Usernames described in this topic, but they are all the same:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem-tshoot/

SSAS Server:

- Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

- SQL Server 2012:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio      11.0.6537.0
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools      11.0.6537.0
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)      6.3.9600.16384
Microsoft MSXML      3.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer      9.11.9600.17278
Microsoft .NET Framework      4.0.30319.34014
Operating System      6.3.9600

Can someone help me out?

Edit:

I believe I found the reason in the Gateway log...

GatewayPipelineErrorCode=DM_GWPipeline_UnknownError
InnerType=AdomdErrorResponseException
InnerMessage=<pi>Errors related to feature availability and configuration: The 'Tabular View' feature is not included in the '64 Bit Standard' edition of Analysis Services.</pi>

So I need to upgrade to BI, Enterprise or 2016 Standard?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bert631,

It requires an Enterprise or Business Intelligence edition of SQL Server Analysis Services when you connect live to SSAS 2012 from Power BI.

In your scenario, you would need to upgrade SQL Server 2012 Standard to SQL Server 2016 Standard, alternatively, you can perform a edition upgrade to change the edition of SQL Server 2012 to Enterprise or Business Intelligence edition.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
gmbhaskar

You need to use Analysis server username and password which means Analysis server running user name and password to set gateway when you are using Cubes or Models

gmbhaskar

You need to use Analysis server username and password which means Analysis server running user name and password to set gateway when you are using Cubes or Models

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bert631,

It requires an Enterprise or Business Intelligence edition of SQL Server Analysis Services when you connect live to SSAS 2012 from Power BI.

In your scenario, you would need to upgrade SQL Server 2012 Standard to SQL Server 2016 Standard, alternatively, you can perform a edition upgrade to change the edition of SQL Server 2012 to Enterprise or Business Intelligence edition.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Lydia-

Should this work with SQL Server Developer Edition?  I'm in development using the gateway in what appears to be the same problem space: the settings for the dataset indicate that the Gateway is online and the data sources are online but I am getting a 'Data Source Access Error' when running the report.

-Ray

I am also getting same error 

I am also getting same error? Any update?  Thanks

I am getting same error. Any update? i am using SQL 2016 Standard edition. Thanks

Hi Lydia,

Quick question.  You mention needing to upgrade to SQL 2016 standard as an option to get around this problem with the SSAS gateway.  Or I can upgrade to 2012 enterprise or BI.  What if I upgrade to SQL 2014 standard, will that allow the SSAS gateway connection?  Or is 2014 like 2012 needing enterprise or BI?

Thanks,

Zach

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors