Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dlazarov

Office 365 Audit Log

Hi

I found this article

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Search-the-audit-log-in-the-Office-365-Protection-Center-0d...

Is there a way to use Office 365 Audit Log in Power BI. I try to use Azure Audit Log service in BI, but it doesn't load the same data or maybe I haven't configured correctly.

8 REPLIES 8
dgrant
Advocate I
Advocate I

I agree it would be very helpful to have access to the O365 Audit Logs as a data source in PowerBI.    I would like to create a custom dashboard to check how Sync is working for OneDrive for Business.  Exporting the audit trail and then generating the report seems a bit silly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, currenly I can't see a way of integrating the Office 365 Logs into Power BI in a automated fashion.

Even maybe using MSFLOW etc to automate.

This is becoming a requirement at my workplace where management want to track Power BI usage and adoption.

Regards, Drickus

You can automate the export of the O365 Audit Log, including Power BI Activities, using PowerShell.  You can then automate the regular execution of PowerShell.  I currently export to Azure Storage and use Power BI to import all exported activities for consolidated reporting.  This also has the advantage of retaining more than 90 days history currently supported in the audit logs.

I have just been asked to almost exactly this - export the O365 SharePoint online logs monthly using PowerShell. Are you able to share your PowerShell script that does this?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@dlazarov - According to that article, the Office 365 audit log is part of the overall Azure audit log.

"As previously stated, Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) is the directory service for Office 365. The unified audit log contains user, group, application, domain, and directory activities performed in the Office 365 admin center or in the in Azure management portal. For a complete list of Azure AD events, see Azure Active Directory Audit Report Events."

The unified audit log is defined as:

"Need to find if a user viewed a specific document or purged an item from their mailbox? If so, you can use the Office 365 Protection Center to search the unified audit log to view user and administrator activity in your Office 365 organization. Why a unified audit log? Because you can search for the following types of user and admin activity in Office 365:

• User activity in SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business

• User activity in Exchange Online (Exchange mailbox audit logging)

• Admin activity in SharePoint Online

• Admin activity in Azure Active Directory (the directory service for Office 365)

• Admin activity in Exchange Online (Exchange admin audit logging)"

So, your unified audit log should have everything from both Office 365 and Azure.

Have you gone through this article?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-content-pack-azure-audit-logs/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Incorrect!   You can NOT view Office 365 Audit Logs in Power BI. Stop providing false information to users.

Please stop spreading false information. You can NOT use Power BI with Office 365 Audit Logs.

In order to use Azure Audit logs in Power BI you must provide a subscription ID.  There is NO subscription ID for Office 365 Services in Azure.

Hello lcasey,

Would you know by any chance if Microsoft intends to provide a connector for Power BI to connect to the Office 365 Audit Logs ? Because it is exactly what I need for my customer (and I guess I'm not the only one 🙂 ).

Is there any other way to feed Power BI with live data from the Office 365 Audit Logs ?

Cheers,

Gael

I dont know if Microsoft will provide direct access to the Office 365 Audit Logs.   I can only donload the results and then anaylize in Power BI

I would imagine that one day Microsoft would provide a full Office 365 Power BI connector.

01.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors