Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd Table.Combine behavior - and ideas?

Hey Hive-mind - have an odd one for you:

I have one Sales query that imports data from an Azure SQL DB.  I have a series of Key columns that are all whole numbers.

I have a second InternationalSales query that imports from a folder and combines files together that are the same schema as the DB table I'm importing from with the same Key columns that are all whole numbers.

As soon as I append InternationalSales to Sales - the code is literally "= Table.Combine({dbo_Sales, #"Non-US Sales"})" - it changes all my Key columns to decimals.  In fact, it changes every whole number column to a decimal.  Even though they are absolutely set to whole numbers in both queries prior to the append.

Has anyone seen this before?  It's not stopping any development as I can add a ChangedType step and set them back to whole numbers but it's weird and a pain.  Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

So there's the oddity - there *aren't* any ChangeType steps other than the one for the flat files which is required or everything comes thru as Any datatype.

Here's the code of the SQL import:

let
Source = Sql.Database("<<removed connection string>>", "ContosoSales", [CreateNavigationProperties=false]),
dbo_vSales = Source{[Schema="dbo",Item="vSales"]}[Data]
in
dbo_vSales

Here's the code for the import from the folder:

let
Source = Folder.Files("<<removed folder name>>"),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Extension] = ".csv") and ([Name] <> "Inventory.csv")),
#"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows", each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File", each #"Transform File"([Content])),
#"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File"}),
#"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File"(#"Sample File"))),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"SalesKey", Int64.Type}, {"Date", type date}, {"ChannelKey", Int64.Type}, {"StoreKey", Int64.Type}, {"ProductKey", Int64.Type}, {"PromotionKey", Int64.Type}, {"CurrencyKey", Int64.Type}, {"Unit Cost", type number}, {"Unit Price", type number}, {"Sales Quantity", Int64.Type}, {"Return Quantity", Int64.Type}, {"Return Amount", type number}, {"Discount Quantity", Int64.Type}, {"Discount Amount", type number}, {"Total Cost", type number}, {"Sales Amount", type number}, {"ETLLoadID", Int64.Type}, {"LoadDate", type date}, {"UpdateDate", type date}, {"GeographyKey", Int64.Type}})
in
#"Changed Type"

Again - the ChangedType step is required for the flat files or everything would just be "Any".

Here's the code from the Append step:

let
Source = Sql.Database("<<removed connection string>>", "ContosoSales", [CreateNavigationProperties=false]),
dbo_vSales = Source{[Schema="dbo",Item="vSales"]}[Data],
#"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({dbo_vSales, #"Non-US Sales"})
in
#"Appended Query"

And magically all my whole numbers are now decimals.

????

🙂

Ha! I didn't realize that you have two different sources, one from SQL server and one from csv.  Did you know that Power BI pulls the field format from SQL server?  I bet there's a mismatch between that and the format on the csv (which is basically "variant")

The moment Table.Combine sees different formats (or slightly different casing) it goes crazy.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Can you place your Table.Combine above the very first Change Type step, or eliminate any existing Change Type steps and see if that changes anything?

I generally disallow Power BI messing with my column types or table relationships. I can set these myself, thank you very much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors