Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Object not set to an instance of an object

So, I am on version 53 of a pbix file that connects to sql server. It exists in a data group as well as myworkspace. I have republished this file multiple times with no issue until about 2 months ago. I added a calculation and attempted to republish (would be avoidable if/when we can add calculations from the service). Republish fails with this error: "An error has occured while attempting to publish "Report Name.pbix": Object reference not et to an instance of an object."

I have been working a ticket with Microsoft and it has yet to be solved. I can change the file name and publish/republish till my heart's content but I NEED this file as many different reports are built and broken out from it. Delete the source and I have to rebuild  multiple pages.

Any ideas?

Everything is up to date. Tried it from One Drive as well. Tried downloading from the service and then republishing. Tried standing on my left foot with my right arm extended above my head holding an old Microsoft Dos copy of windows between my thumb and ring finger while hopping in circles clockwise while singing the theme song to Firefly. Still cannot get this to republish.

Desperate . . . 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have got the same problem. Only thing is working is to change the file name and republish it.

Not really happy about it.

Thanks

Mazhar

prashantutneja
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi, So i was facing the same issue, and i have checked all my connections and everything but no use. But now it is solved. so guys this might be the issue of not replacing the old file but what you can do is, rename you exisiting file and save it with a new version and when you publish the report with a newer version which will not replace the previous one on powerbi.com, it will get publish without any issue. Please let me know if you still face the issue. Prashant Utneja

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kcantor,

According to your description, you still can't replace the published reports, right?

Can you share your reports to test?

>>Delete the source and I have to rebuild  multiple pages.

In addition, even if power bi team fix the issue, I don't think you can direct use these original reports without rebuild these reports.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft

Unfortunatetly, I cannot share the file. However, I can say that I was using screen share with Microsoft and they still couldn't believe I could change the name and publish the data model and republish. In addition, I can download the file from the service but it also refuses to republish. their original thoughts were that the data model was corrupted. Being able to change the name and republish proved it wasn't. I thought it might be a connection  but Refresh still works.  I am stumped.

Hi @kcantor,

I also haven't found any effective methods to works throuth this issue, these published reports has been broken(e.g. mapping, interaction and relationship). So, I want to suggest you backup the history reports, remove these older reports and republish the newest version.

>> their original thoughts were that the data model was corrupted. Being able to change the name and republish proved it wasn't. I thought it might be a connection  but Refresh still works

As you said, datasets still works, but I don't know how to re-mapping these interactions and relationships of broken reports.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft

thanks for trying. I will leave this open and post here if a solution can be found.

Ons
Frequent Visitor

Hi @kcantor,

Try to disconnect and reconnect your account on the Desktop just before republishing your report.

I'm working with the 64bit latest version (2.47.4766.801 64-bit (juin 2017)) and I had the same problem as you.

Now it works only if I change the account (to reconnect) just before republishing.

Clearly there is a problem with the desktop but changing/reconnecting the account every time we want to republish could be a work around (it worked for me). If it's a problem with the latest versions, I hope it will be fixed in the next ones.

Please let me know if it works also for you.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Did not work for me. I also updated and tried again. Still a no go.

thanks for the suggestion, though.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

A new development:

The original file was in One drive and had been republished from the desktop on multiple occasions. I have another file that was originally in one drive that is now refusing to allow republsih as well. 

Is there an issue with the latest versions of desktop publishing files that were previously in one drive? I can add the file to one drive but it will not pull in my new measures.

I've also seen this problem and don't think it's anything to do with One Drive. Closing and reopening the file before publishing seems to work for me although from your description this wont help.

I also doubt it's anything to do with your datasets/relationships as you can refresh without a problem. Have you tried republishing from a different machine?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors