cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Virtual_Ames Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

OLE DB or ODBC error: type mismatch (exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH))

Hello,

I have a report that has been running just fine for the last few weeks.  Nothing has changed about the report.

Upon attempting to refresh the data today - it does not work.  If gives me this error:

OLE DB or ODBC error: type mismatch (exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_YTPEMISMATCH))

Any ideas about what is going on and how to address this?

Thanks,

18 REPLIES 18
Super User
Super User

Re: OLE DB or ODBC error: type mismatch (exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_YTPEMISMATCH))

Is this in the Service, Desktop or gateway?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Regular Visitor

Re: OLE DB or ODBC error: type mismatch (exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH))

Desktop.....

arify Established Member
Established Member

Re: OLE DB or ODBC error: type mismatch (exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH))

Can you please give us some information about your query and the failure? Sending a frown with traces would be very helpful.

(Just a guess, are you connecting to an Analysis Services Database?)

Regular Visitor

Yes, frown with data has now been sent.

Sources are Sharepoint List and OData....

spiderrob Member

I'm seeing exactly the same error. Report was running fine? Using Power BI desktop and source is a SQL server database.

Regular Visitor

Sorry to hear that.  You could open a ticket, but here are a few suggestions.

Run the refresh in PowerBI.com - it will fail, but the error reporting is better (? why ? I don't know) - so if you look at the dataset in the "schedule refresh" area, you will see the failure notification -  if you expand that, it may identify the column that is causing the problem.  Then you step through your query (and rebuild it if necessary).

If that error does not show, go to PowerBI desktop and get into the data view - then look at the fields list and start by inspecting any columns that are flagged, then look for items that are have date format. Hypotheis is that a new value showed up in your data that caused PowerBI to "change it's mind" about the TYPE - moving from Text or Date Type to "any" or "text". 

May need to rebuild those. 

I do not think this was a matter of someone changing the format in the source - so the cause of the problem is not known - one day it was working, the next it was not - so I would not advise going down that path as a first step - unless you control everything and have easy access.

Good luck.

chabib Visitor
Visitor

Just had the same error and solved it by duplicating my table in the Query Editor, deleting the original table and renaming the copy to the original's name.. Hope that helps

mruta Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

It just worked !!! Thank you Smiley Happy

Highlighted
pineapple77 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi, there,

This happened to me also. But i figured out that if i remove all the relations to the table it will be better to do changes on it.

When I removed the relations and edited the table (without duplicating it and etc.), all the changes were applied without any problems.

I think it is because you have some "strange" values in a column or columns that are in relation to others and from there it reffers to that TYPE MISMATCH.

It worked for me.

Have a nice day!

Pavlin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Back to School Contest

Back to School Contest

Engage and empower students with Power BI!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Summit Australia 2019

Summit Australia 2019

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

Top Ideas
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 277 members 2,858 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: