Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vejas
Helper I
Helper I

ODBC vs SQL

Hello , 

I have SQL database and our ERP connects to SQL using ODBC. I can Get Data to Power BI both ways - connecting SQL server database and ODBC. Which way should i prefer ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@vejas,

ODBC is slower. But is very comfortable when you have a lot of people who do different reporting and creation of reports in Power BI. And only admin manage this connection. If IP of ERP has been changed from production to testing or developement or backup IP then you change it in only one place. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@vejas,

ODBC is slower. But is very comfortable when you have a lot of people who do different reporting and creation of reports in Power BI. And only admin manage this connection. If IP of ERP has been changed from production to testing or developement or backup IP then you change it in only one place. 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@vejas,

I would recommend you use the built-in SQL Server connector in Power BI Desktop, with this connector, you have two modes(Import or Directquery) to choose. 

DirectQuery lets you build visualizations over very large datasets, you can choose it based on your business requirement.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

ODBC is notoriously slow.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors