Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jcountryman
Helper I
Helper I

ODBC Error - Key value in connection string too long

Odbc.Query(
    "driver={iSeries Access ODBC Driver};" &
    "system=AS400.OURCOMPANY.COM;" &
    "dsn=dBASE Files"
    "SELECT * "&
    "FROM AS400DB.JOBSCOPEDB.EPOPERF"
)

I can run this query without an issue from within Excel, but in Power BI, I get this error:image.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jcountryman
Helper I
Helper I

Seems like my problem is that the dsn property needs to be "dBase File" in Power BI— although Power Query from Excel will accept an 's' or not.  "dBASE Fileblargablarg" because it truncates the string to the first ten characters.

SMH.

View solution in original post

Linda_MILF

Hi There, 

Just wanted to offer a nice solution I found on another site for the warning "DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000]... The key value in connection string too long.

After resolving it, I propose that you do not assume that it is due to a problem with the connection string, but rather to an error in setting a user name and password for the query. 

This is the solution from 

mikefiorentinoit from Reddit.com

Open spreadsheet

Click on Data

Click on Queries and Connections

Double - Click on any of the connections

In the Power Query editor, click on File, Options and Settings, Data source settings, Click on dsn="?", Click on edit Permissions, Click edit, update user name and password., Click Save, Ok, Close, Click Close and Load, Close Queries and Connections window. Click on main sheet and click update button.

I hope that this answer can be shared with anyone who requires assistance.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Linda_MILF

Hi There, 

Just wanted to offer a nice solution I found on another site for the warning "DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000]... The key value in connection string too long.

After resolving it, I propose that you do not assume that it is due to a problem with the connection string, but rather to an error in setting a user name and password for the query. 

This is the solution from 

mikefiorentinoit from Reddit.com

Open spreadsheet

Click on Data

Click on Queries and Connections

Double - Click on any of the connections

In the Power Query editor, click on File, Options and Settings, Data source settings, Click on dsn="?", Click on edit Permissions, Click edit, update user name and password., Click Save, Ok, Close, Click Close and Load, Close Queries and Connections window. Click on main sheet and click update button.

I hope that this answer can be shared with anyone who requires assistance.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

For the below syntax (image 1), I get the error as shown in image 2
I am trying to connect to a KLD database and the solution mentioned previously didn't work. Could someone give the exact steps to resolve this error?

Image 1:

error2.PNG

Image 2:

error.PNG

Thanks

jcountryman
Helper I
Helper I

Seems like my problem is that the dsn property needs to be "dBase File" in Power BI— although Power Query from Excel will accept an 's' or not.  "dBASE Fileblargablarg" because it truncates the string to the first ten characters.

SMH.

Hi @jcountryman ,

From your second reply, it seems that you have found the cause of this error.

Have you solved the problem? 

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors