cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mimiles Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

O365 Excel opening error for PowerBI source file

I'm running into issues opening an Excel file in O365, which is also my source file for a Power BI dashboard. The Excel file is ~1.3 MB with nine worksheets. I receive the following error when attempting to open in my browser, but after one or two browser reloads it opens correctly.

Ever since running into this issue with the Excel source file, my Power BI dashboard doesn't refresh when I try to apply query changes. I've already tried recreating a new version of the Excel file and changing that to be the source in Power BI but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions for solving this are welcomed! Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
mimiles Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

O365 Excel opening error for PowerBI source file

I'm running into issues opening an Excel file in O365, which is also my source file for a Power BI dashboard. The Excel file is ~1.3 MB with nine worksheets. I receive the following error when attempting to open in my browser, but after one or two browser reloads it opens correctly.

Ever since running into this issue with the Excel source file, my Power BI dashboard doesn't refresh when I try to apply query changes. I've already tried recreating a new version of the Excel file and changing that to be the source in Power BI but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions for solving this are welcomed! Thank you.

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: O365 Excel opening error for PowerBI source file

Hi @mimiles,

Firstly, regarding to the issue that you fails to open Excel file in O365, please post the question in the Office forum to get dedicated support.  Meanwhile, you can review the following similar threads to troubleshoot the first error.

Excel file unable to open online (One drive/sharepoint)
OnDrive error "Request was taking too long"

Secondly, the second error could occur when you put an invalid URL path to be the source in Power BI, please check if you can open the URL successfully in browser and follow the instructions in this blog to handle error 404 in Power BI.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 254 members 2,701 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: