Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mimiles
Frequent Visitor

O365 Excel opening error for PowerBI source file

I'm running into issues opening an Excel file in O365, which is also my source file for a Power BI dashboard. The Excel file is ~1.3 MB with nine worksheets. I receive the following error when attempting to open in my browser, but after one or two browser reloads it opens correctly.

Ever since running into this issue with the Excel source file, my Power BI dashboard doesn't refresh when I try to apply query changes. I've already tried recreating a new version of the Excel file and changing that to be the source in Power BI but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions for solving this are welcomed! Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
mimiles
Frequent Visitor

I'm running into issues opening an Excel file in O365, which is also my source file for a Power BI dashboard. The Excel file is ~1.3 MB with nine worksheets. I receive the following error when attempting to open in my browser, but after one or two browser reloads it opens correctly.

Ever since running into this issue with the Excel source file, my Power BI dashboard doesn't refresh when I try to apply query changes. I've already tried recreating a new version of the Excel file and changing that to be the source in Power BI but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions for solving this are welcomed! Thank you.

Hi @mimiles,

Firstly, regarding to the issue that you fails to open Excel file in O365, please post the question in the Office forum to get dedicated support.  Meanwhile, you can review the following similar threads to troubleshoot the first error.

Excel file unable to open online (One drive/sharepoint)
OnDrive error "Request was taking too long"

Secondly, the second error could occur when you put an invalid URL path to be the source in Power BI, please check if you can open the URL successfully in browser and follow the instructions in this blog to handle error 404 in Power BI.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors