Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

l2aFa
Helper I
Helper I

Number of mashup engine containers

Hello everybody,

After the January gateway update (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/on-premises-data-gateway-january-update-is-now-available/) and the possibility of controlling the number of mashup engine containers I have trouble figuring what applies to my circumstances, which are:

- I currently develop reports against SSAS tabular models through live connection.

-These models are deployed in an Azure machine; let's call it A.

-My on-premises data gateway is installed on another Azure machine which only holds an SSIS instance; lets call it B.

-My published Power BI reports connect to A through B gateway.

My question is this: if I tweak the number of mashup engine containers, will it affect the resources of A or B? B is the one with the gateway installed, but it will be A resources the ones used to query the different models and answer the viewer's demands.

Also, A and B don't have the same amount of cores, so I don't know which number I must employ as guidance to establish the MashupDefaultPoolContainerMaxCount value as the article says.

Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@l2aFa,

When you tweak the number of mashup engine containers, it will require B’s resources and affect your machine B’ s performance. In your scenario, if you only have live datasets, the On-Premise Gateway will act as in a pass along mode, passing the data to the source, getting the results and passing it back to the Power BI Service, the query will be executed at the source side(Machine A). In this case, I don’t think you have to change the “MashupDefalutPoolConainerMaxCount” setting as there are no queries running or data model at gateway side.

However, if you persist to change number of mashup engine containers , as the blog says, a recommended ceiling for the maximum number of containers you can use is roughly twice the number of cores in your local machine(B) processor.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@l2aFa,

When you tweak the number of mashup engine containers, it will require B’s resources and affect your machine B’ s performance. In your scenario, if you only have live datasets, the On-Premise Gateway will act as in a pass along mode, passing the data to the source, getting the results and passing it back to the Power BI Service, the query will be executed at the source side(Machine A). In this case, I don’t think you have to change the “MashupDefalutPoolConainerMaxCount” setting as there are no queries running or data model at gateway side.

However, if you persist to change number of mashup engine containers , as the blog says, a recommended ceiling for the maximum number of containers you can use is roughly twice the number of cores in your local machine(B) processor.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you very much for your answer Lydia, I will have this in mind.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors