Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not able to connect with storage account for Azure backup report

Hi All,

I am trying to create an Azure Backup report using PowerBI but during this i am not able to connect my storage account with PowerBI. I am getting below mention error:-

Failed to update data source credentials: The credentials provided for the AzureBlobs source are invalid. (Source at https://backupreportXXXXXX.blob.core.windows.net/.)Hide details

Activity ID:745e71b2-XXXX-XXXXX-9fdf-1404a298d0e4
Request ID:3c7fc7e0-XXXX-XXXXX-e0f3-c073052ff531
Status code:400
Time:Tue Oct 02 2018 16:14:10 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
Version:13.0.6781.189
Cluster URI:https://wabi-XXXXX-XXXXX-redirect.analysis.windows.net

I am following THIS LINK to configure backup report. I have given Key1 and Key2 both for this configuration and regenaretd keys as well but no luck !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Please check your Azure Blob storage firewall configuration, the firewall setting of the azure storage account need to whitelist the IP address of the Power BI Service. If these IP address are not whitelisted, the access will not succeed.

Regards,

Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Please check your Azure Blob storage firewall configuration, the firewall setting of the azure storage account need to whitelist the IP address of the Power BI Service. If these IP address are not whitelisted, the access will not succeed.

Regards,

Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, 

That is quite a list to add.. one bye one. Would be nice if storage also supported a tickmark for allowing access from PowerBI, since this apparantly is not included in "Trusted Microsoft Services"

I feel like this should be reopened. The link provided in the accepted answer is deprecated. Even if that link were not deprecated, it would not be feasible to keep the Storage Firewall in sync with so many rules for the Power BI Service. What is the alternative? Is the Power BI Service a "Trusted Microsoft Service" that can bypass the firewall? Should users host a Power BI Report Server on a VM and whitelist that IP address?

@phetzel1 I'm trying to solve the same issue here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/The-credentials-provided-for-the-AzureBlobs-source-are-inva...

I spent a lot of time trying to whitelist the IP's but nothing worked. Have you had any luck?

@Justair07 : We are trying to go an alternate route and use an on-premise data gateway. In my opinion, this is the biggest missing link the Microsoft's analytics stack. There are many questions about how to access Storage in this forum and Microsoft does not have a realistic answer for it, other than to add hundreds of IPs to the storage whitelist (even though there is a limit on Storage firewall rules) or to remove the firewall altogether. The latter is not possible in many scenarios because it increases risk significantly.

The only thing you can do is upvote this idea: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/217313-networking/suggestions/37412272-storage-account-firewall-ad....

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors