Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

New column when IDs repeat

Hello community, 

I'm looking to create a new column with a list of unique medications for each ID. 

I have a bit of a weird/complicated data, because my IDs repeat: 

IDMedication
1a
1b
1c
2h
3a
3a
3c

Some IDs have a row for each medication (ID #1), some IDs have duplicate medications (ID #3) as well as non duplicated medications. 

I would like to create a new column with a list of all unique medications for each ID:

IDMedicationMedications
1aa, b, c
1ba, b, c
1ca, b, c
2hh
3aa, c
3aa, c
3ca, c

Would anyone know how to create this? 

Thank you for taking the time, 

Denisse

7 REPLIES 7
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

You can add a custom column with the following code 

(x)=>  Text.Combine( List.Distinct(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [ID] =x[ID])[Medication]),",")

Fowmy_0-1619470812945.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Fowmy , 

Thank you, I tried your code, but I got a function, I'm not sure how to fix this? custom.PNG

@Anonymous 

You need to modify the step names as per your query. Create a new blank query, go to the Advanced Editor, clear the existing code and paste the following then follow the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUUpUitWBsJLgrGQwywjIygCzjOHqUFlAdbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Medication = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Medication", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", (x)=> Text.Combine( List.Distinct(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [ID] =x[ID])[Medication]),","))
in
    #"Added Custom"

You can adapt it as follows.  Put this formula in the custom column pop up box, replace Source with last/previous step.

let thisid = _[ID] in Text.Combine( List.Distinct(Table.SelectRows(Source, each [ID] =thisid)[Medication]),",")

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mahoneypat @Fowmy , 

My source is an excel with multiple sheets, which I load as below, and then expand so it's all continously in one table. Is this this issue? I can't seem to get it to work, and sadly I am not following how to address the issue (still new to this!). 

Pwoer bi source.PNGsource.PNG

Thank you for your time and help, 

Denisse

@Anonymous 

Based on your question and the sample you provided, solutions were suggested. You can share your Excel file or create a sample file that represents your actual data and show the expected results to understand your data and the expected result.

You can save your file in a cloud space like OneDrive and share the link here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Fowmy , 

Thank you, I have tried to upload it here, does it work? 

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. 

Kind regards, 

Denisse

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors