Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pkoel-asb
Helper V
Helper V

New User - Power Query export to SQL Server

Hello,

I am a very new Power Query use in Power BI. I have had to do a tremendous amount of transforming for one of my Power BI dekstop apps. From within Power Query, is it possible to export the table, with all of the transforms attached/applied, to SQL server? I would then be able to pull it into other Power Bi reports as a data source. I know, I can copy/paste the tables from one Power BI app to another, but all the tables seems to be a lot of clutter. 

Cheers,

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pkoel-asb ,

To export data from power query to sql server, it is possible and have multiple ways that you can try:

1. Using R script, please refer:

2. Using SSIS or R script, please refer:

3. Ohter ways like json, please refer:

All of these articles and blogs introduce it in details, hope to help you.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
FERAY
Frequent Visitor

Bonjour,J’ai le même type de besoin : nombreuses sources de données hétérogènes (multi-logiciels), souhait de transformation (ETL) pour les faire converger, via un rafraîchissement automatique programmé, dans une BDD SQLSERVER, modèle de données « universel » , permettant de maintenir des rapports Power BI génériques,
s’appuyant sur cette BDD SQL unique.

Quel.s ETL utiliser, POWERQUERY, autres ?
Merci para avance, de vos pistes et suggestions

Use SSIS.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pkoel-asb ,

To export data from power query to sql server, it is possible and have multiple ways that you can try:

1. Using R script, please refer:

2. Using SSIS or R script, please refer:

3. Ohter ways like json, please refer:

All of these articles and blogs introduce it in details, hope to help you.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Power BI is a reporting tool. Think of it as a one way street (sadly).  Power Query smells like an ETL tool but it's a juvenile version.

Having said that - you can run native queries against SQL data sources, including INSERT and UPDATE statements etc. in Power Query.  But do you really want to do that?  

Maybe look into a proper ETL tool for your big transforms, one that has error handling and auditing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors