Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jeppesal
Advocate II
Advocate II

New Gateway (Personal Mode) problem :(

WHAT HAPPENED??

Now Microsoft have managed to mess up the Gateway tool totally Smiley Mad

To combine on-prem SQL Server data with online OData (using OAuth2) I need both gateways (on-prem + personal), because on-prem doesn't support OAuth2 for OData (why is that Microsoft?).

Now Microsoft is killing the old Personal Gateway from July 31, 2017.

What does this mean for many of my clients?

The old personal gateway could run as a service meaning a somewhat server like setup BUT the new and improved (Personal Mode) doesn't support "run as a service". So now I need to keep the user logged on the server to be able to refresh my Power BI Online with data from an online source.

Microsoft, please review your Gateway solution/offer/tool and align it with the tools (Power BI Desktop and Online) it is supposed to support.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@jeppesal,

Based on this idea, team is working on supporting oAuth based connections to go thru the on-premises gateway in Power BI.

Currently, when you combine on-premises SQL data source and online OData(using OAuth2) data source in a single dataset, please use the on-premises gateway(personal mode) to refresh your dataset. Alternatively, you can either use a different auth type for OData, or separate the two data sources into two datasets, then use on-premises gateway to refresh the datasets.

For more details about the On-premises data gateway (personal mode), please review this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-personal-mode/ .

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your answer.

I'm already using the new On-premises data gateway (personal mode) BUT I'm frustrated that the option to run it as a service was removed with such a short notice.

It is very hard for a customer's IT department to accept a solution that requires a personal gateway with the user logged on a pc/server somewhere and if the user is logged of, the refresh fails.

Regards

Jeppe

@jeppesal,

As a workaround for the issue,  you can either use a different auth type for OData, or separate the two data sources into two datasets, then use on-premises gateway to refresh the datasets. 

Meanwhile, you can submit an idea about that run on-premises gateway (personal mode) as service in the Power BI ideas forum.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors