Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bamse
Frequent Visitor

Need to convert date-time and durations to ticks in PowerQuery

I am fetching data from a data source which requires me splitup my queries and provide a start and stop time for each fetched block.
It only accepts times as clock ticks.

Question:
Is there a clever and reliable way to convert a date-time stamp and/or a duration to ticks in PowerQuery (M)?

With reliable I mean both:
Which takes into account leap seconds e.c.t..
Which will work with a scheduled refresh (does not require a local component).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bamse
Frequent Visitor

I've resolved the issue by adding a column with the number of ticks for the start of each day to my calendar table.
This gives me at least the tick count, though I've not (yet) investigated how this is affected by leap seconds and leap years in the future.
But for the time range 2000-01-01 until 'NOW' it appears to produce correct results and gets the job done.

For those interested in the code:
BljnTicks20000101 = Number.FromText("630822816"),
BljnTicksPerDay = Number.FromText("864"),
#"AddBljnTicks" = Table.AddColumn(#"Define PK", "BljnTicks", each (BljnTicks20000101 + (Duration.Days([Date] - Date.FromText("2000-01-01"))) * BljnTicksPerDay)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bamse
Frequent Visitor

I've resolved the issue by adding a column with the number of ticks for the start of each day to my calendar table.
This gives me at least the tick count, though I've not (yet) investigated how this is affected by leap seconds and leap years in the future.
But for the time range 2000-01-01 until 'NOW' it appears to produce correct results and gets the job done.

For those interested in the code:
BljnTicks20000101 = Number.FromText("630822816"),
BljnTicksPerDay = Number.FromText("864"),
#"AddBljnTicks" = Table.AddColumn(#"Define PK", "BljnTicks", each (BljnTicks20000101 + (Duration.Days([Date] - Date.FromText("2000-01-01"))) * BljnTicksPerDay)

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bamse , 

I am not clear about your requirement, if possible could you please inform me more detailed information(such as your expected output and your sample data (by OneDrive for Business))? Then I will help you more correctly.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Bamse
Frequent Visitor

Hi Zoe,

There's no .PBIX yet because I am in the 'feasability' stage where I am testing if I can get access to all data I need.
I've build a fetch tester in PowerShell, and this fetches two test intervals from the web site as a test.
This works, and now I'd like to traslate this to Power Query (M) such that I can fetch the data with something like below.
The part in the PowerShell script that does the trick is (Get-Date $timestamp).Ticks but I do not find anything alike for PowerQuery (M).

StartTicks = (SOME CALCULATION),
EndTicks = (SOME CALCULATION),
Json.Document(Web.Contents(""https://WebSite.com?output=json",
[Query = [
start=StartTicks,
end=EndTicks],
Headers = [Authorization = Bearer]])),

Below the code in PowerShell I used to test that I can successfully fetch the page.

# QnD JSON FETCH TESTER
# Requires >= PS6.0

$Bearer = "1234567890abcdefg"
$Dates = "2020-04-10 00:00", "2020-04-11 00:00"

Foreach ($Date in $Dates) {
$start = (Get-Date $Date).Ticks
$end = (Get-Date $Date).AddDays(1).Ticks -1
$uri = "https://WebSite.com?output=json&start=$start&end=$end"
$OutFile = "C:\temp\fetch_day_$((Get-Date $Date).Day).JSON"

$response = Invoke-WebRequest -UseBasicParsing -Uri $uri -Authentication OAuth -Token (ConvertTo-SecureString $Bearer -AsPlainText -Force) #-UseBasicParsing ).Content
$response.Content | Out-File $OutFile
}

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors