Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sschahal
Advocate I
Advocate I

Need help with reading Access DB

Error Message:

Details: "Microsoft Access: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 32-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 Access Database Engine OLEDB provider is required to connect to read this type of file. To download the client software, visit the following site: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987."

I have 32-bit version of Office 2016 installed and I installed the 32-bit version of the Power BI Desktop application but still not able to read any Access database including the sample Access DB as well as the Lab 1 Access Database containing VanArsdel's US sales data.

Then when I went to install the 32bit redistributable Access I get an error message:

"We're sorry, Microsoft Office installer encountered a problem because you have these Click-to-rn installer based Office programs installed on your computer:

Microsoft Visio Professional 2016 -en-us

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 -en-us

Windows installer and Click-toRun editions of Office programs don't get along for this version, so you can only have one type installed at a time.  Please try installing the Click-to-run edition of Office instead, or uninstall your other Click-to-run based Office programs and try installation again.

-End of Error message

I have no idea of where to go to change my Office to click-to-run etc and I'm hoping that some simple workaround is available.  I'd really like to avoid having to unistall Office2016 - seems rather extreme step to tak. 

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

-Sudip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your reply.  My Office installation is a bit tricky in the sense that it was part of an employee purchase program when I worked at Intel.  I'm afraid if I uninstall it, I may not be able to reinstall it with all the complexities of the license key etc etc.

The workaround that seems to show promise is I installed PowerBI in a Windows evaluation VM - that is valid for 90 days and hopefully that is more than what I need for this class.

It is disappointing that Microsoft's own products have this kind of incompatibility - I hope the product teams resolve it soon.

Thanks, again.

-Sudip

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sschahal,

As stated in this article, Office installed using Click-to-Run and Window Installer on same computer isn't supported.

In your scenario, I am afraid that you would need to uninstall Microsoft Visio Professional 2016 and Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016, then install 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider.

Additionally, regarding to this office issue, I would recommend you post the question in the Office 2016 and Office 365 ProPlus - IT Pro Discussions forum to get better support.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your reply.  My Office installation is a bit tricky in the sense that it was part of an employee purchase program when I worked at Intel.  I'm afraid if I uninstall it, I may not be able to reinstall it with all the complexities of the license key etc etc.

The workaround that seems to show promise is I installed PowerBI in a Windows evaluation VM - that is valid for 90 days and hopefully that is more than what I need for this class.

It is disappointing that Microsoft's own products have this kind of incompatibility - I hope the product teams resolve it soon.

Thanks, again.

-Sudip

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors