Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

execman

Need help with connecting to a MySQL server

Hi, 

I am a new Power BI user and is trying to connect to a MySQL database. I tried many different setting but I am unable to get it to work. 

Setup: I added my computer's IP address in Cpanel via the Remote MySQL panel. 

Server: I tried using the IP address of the server, my website's url, with and without "www"

Database: I entered the database name

Credentials: 

Windows: Not Selected

Database: Selected

Username:

Password: 

For the username and password, I tried the MySQL database password and the cpanel password. 

Please assist if you can. Thanks in advance. 

14 REPLIES 14
Alice

Hi! I have the same error when i'm trying to connet to the remote server with mySQL database. I've tried different variations of server name, but it doesn't work. Does anybody know how the string with server name should look like? 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you trying to connect from the service or from Power BI Desktop or from Excel?

I have an article on TechNet that gives some notes around this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32004.power-bi-tips-for-working-with-mysq...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi

I am getting error. I downloaded the version from microsoft link 

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/file/?id=412152

but still getting it

Pls help

We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'MySql.Data.MySqlClient'.
This error could've been the result of provider-specific client software being required, but missing on this computer. To download client software for this provider, visit the following site and choose the 64-bit (x64) version of, at minimum, 'MySQL Connector/Net': https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=278885"

tx

Hello,

I'm getting the very same error. I try to connect MySQL server running on my laptop with Power BI Desktop edition also on my laptop. Of course I have already installed the 64bit MySQL connector. My OS is Windows 7. my_sql.JPG

Any help is more than welcome.

Many thanks

I found the solution on my own. I used 127.0.0.1:3306 in Power BI as Server declaration instead of "localhost" and it worked!

Hi , 
what you specified in username and password.
because if I put username = root and leaves the password blank , it still gives me that can't connect.

Generally when I have gotten this to work, I have had MySQL installed directly on the boxt that I am using Desktop on. Can you provide any details about your configuration?

Latest book!:

Hi

Thanks for your response.

I have a deskptop power BI and using AWS database to connect to.Please let me know what other info you need from me.

@lakshnajha - Here is what I would do, first, download and install MySQL server and tools on the desktop you are using Power BI Desktop on.

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/

Make sure you can connect to your local MySQL server. Then, try to connect to AWS MySQL server. Let me know if that works.

Latest book!:

My case is:

• server is on Azure, MySQL Database. 
  • I need to pull the data into PowerBI service every hour

By following below link on community.power Bi site. I have concluded following approach.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/connect-mysql-to-web-version-of-Power-Bi/td-p/2668 

i) Connect to My sql Database using Power BI Desktop 

ii) Deploy Power BI desktop to power BI service

iii) Schedule data referesh using Personal gateway.

I would like your comment on whether the above approach is correct or not and in case it is correct where do i need to install "Personal gateway" on Azure server (Since database is on cloud) or my personal desktop or any machine?

So does powerBI support connecting to a database server running on a remote machine? 

It appear the diaload does not even support a mysql port number. 

So does it NOT work? 

on my windows machine works. thanks so much

hi 

is it possible to use power BI on mac machine. My primary machine is mac so i will love to use power BI on that

I am trying to connect it via Power BI Desktop directly. So it would be from Get Data - More - Database - MySQL Database. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors