Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with combining data in 2 fact tables - forecast and actual

Data ModelData ModelData table - reportData table - report

I have the data model above with 2 fact tables.  One for Forecast and one for actuals.  They are at different granularities.  Forecasts are for the month - but done every week.  Actuals are added for the month when the month is complete.  I want a data table report as shown above actuals to replace forecast once they are available.  I am not xcertain if I need a different data-model or I need to de-normalize to a single fact table or DAX measures or DAX calculated columns.

4 REPLIES 4

This is a DAX problem, not power query. Your data model is fine. Break the problem into pieces and solve one problem at a time. 

1. Write a measure that returns actual

2. Write a measure that returns forecast

3. Write a measure (probably using IF ) to show one or the other depending on the rules you describe. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattAllington  Matt, thanks for your reply - I am a DAX beginner, and I have tried numerous approaches - I continue to struggle.  Can you propose the structure of the DAX measure?  Nothing I do seems to work.  Maybe I can send a data sample file?  Any help is appreciated!

I can help you learn.  My view is you wont learn if I do it for you.  How about you post a sample workbook with what you have done.  I can then guide you from there.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattAllington  Sample at URL below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ATCnatMbzd14j9EBH5EWJZelJzyvSyYH

I am using Excel/Power Query.

I simply add the ForecastUnitsForward measure to the SalesUnits measure for the integrated measure.

ForecastUnits Forward=
SUMX(
 'CDC Data',
 IF(RELATED('Table_Period'[Month])>='CDC Data'[Forecast Month],
 [Forecast Units],
 [Sales Units])
)

I have a row total problem.  Any guidance is appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors