Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need assistance: R script output to get automatically refreshed

Hi,

I have few R visuals which I need to convert into Power BI visuals. I have been provided with R script with static R visuals. I now need to make those R Visuals dynamic. One approach I have taken is as follows:

1. Generate an output file with R script (into data table/excel/csv), and stored at a folder/location.

2. I have linked this file with powerBi to create power BI visuals, with a slicer to generate user driven dynamic views

R script runs when user changes the selection inthe slicer, and likewise, my output file is also refreshed at folder location.

When user changes selections in Slicer, Power BI linked file is not getting refreshed automatically everytime R script runs.

I have a refresh option in the menu bar but it is a manual refresh option. Is there any way where linked data can get automatically refresh based on the slicer selections??

Thanks,

Naveen Koushal

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

In Power BI Desktop, when the data source(output file in your scenario) changes,  the visuals in Power BI Desktop can get updated only when clicking Refresh button.

You can publish the PBIX file to Power BI Service, configure gateway and set schedule refresh for the dataset. This way, Power BI Desktop can be refreshed automatically.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the information. As an alternative solution, is there any way where this challenge can be overcome.

Can you please suggest other alternative solution.

Just for the more clarity, I am reiterating the problem:

I have some visuals which is created from R script visuals. Since, R visuals are not impressive and also there is no drill down functionality I therefore need to convert them into power BI visuals. I can do this using DAX however due to slowness of DAX function I am not allowed to use DAX. Please suggest any other solution apart from using DAX.

Regards,

Naveen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have few R visuals which I need to convert into Power BI visuals. I have been provided with R script with static R visuals. I now need to make those R Visuals dynamic. One approach I have taken is as follows:

1. Generate an output file with R script (into data table/excel/csv), and stored at a folder/location.

2. I have linked this file with powerBi to create power BI visuals, with a slicer to generate user driven dynamic views

R script runs when user changes the selection inthe slicer, and likewise, my output file is also refreshed at folder location.

When user changes selections in Slicer, Power BI linked file is not getting refreshed automatically everytime R script runs.

I have a refresh option in the menu bar but it is a manual refresh option. Is there any way where linked data can get automatically refresh based on the slicer selections??

Thanks,

Naveen Koushal

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors