Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need M Code to create new column with current week as "1"

I'm using a query to create a Date table. I need a column that shows the current week as "1"; next week as "2"; following week as "3"; etc.  The task is complicated because our work week starts on Saturday and ends on Friday. I have a statement that works, but it seems unnecessarially long:

"each (Number.From(Date.StartOfWeek(Date.AddDays([Date],2)))-Number.From(Date.StartOfWeek(DateTime.LocalNow())))/7+1)"

This code makes last week, "0", and decrements each week in the past from there..., which is fine. But, would like to know, is there a more direct - or more effecient - method to accomplish this task using M Code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Geradav
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

HI @Anonymous ,

The short answer is no, you won't find anything more direct than that. What you have is the best one can have.

Regards

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

DAX should be a work around.

Column = 
VAR weecurrent =
    WEEKNUM ( TODAY (), 1 )
RETURN
    WEEKNUM ( [date], 1 ) - weecurrent + 1

week.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really want to do this in the Query using M code. As for the DAX alternative, the suggested looks like it also works, but it doesn't account for the work week starting on Saturday (in other words, current week ends on Friday). May be an easy fix, but just for anyone who may happen upon this in the future, thought I should include that note. In M code, that turned out to be a challenge (though it works with the entry included in the first post.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. I learn a lot here.

Geradav
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

HI @Anonymous ,

The short answer is no, you won't find anything more direct than that. What you have is the best one can have.

Regards

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors