Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kbachova
Advocate II
Advocate II

NOT WORKING: Export data from Power BI report visuals in Microsoft Teams

Hi all,

we have encountered issues with exporting data from Power BI report visuals that were embedded into Microsoft Teams.

Background:

We have created a report on Power BI desktop, data source SQL Server DB.

Published the report to a Power BI Workspace (workspace is publishing onto Premium Capacity EM1).

Then went to a Teams app and added a Power BI tile and added the report.

What happens:

I go to teams app and I am able to view the report, however, the moment I hit the "Export Data" (left corner "..." of the visual options), I get as far as able to select what type of export I want, click "Export" and then nothing happens.

I have tried this with various workspaces and various reports, however, this does not really seem to work. Anybody is having same issue/knows a workaround?

I looked online and on forums, but I wasn't lucky finding a solution so I also raised a ticket with MS support and waiting for response - I will share in case they resolve it, but would also appreciate if anyone could share any more info about this.

Thanks loads,

Kristina

extract_data.pngexport_data.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
kbachova
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi,

I just got an email from support saying that this is not a bug but a feature that is not yet supported. Which is a surprise as initially I got a response that it is a bug. Now the only thing we can do is to vote for this to get added unfortunately - so if you are experiencing th same issues, please, vote for this:

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/32404315-the-power-bi-integrat...

Although it is weird that in the above email the support confirmed that it was a bug and now it changed to unsupported feature - bit shady tbh.

But I guess, nothing I can do about it.

Hope this gets added soon as a supported feature though.

Thanks,

Kristina

EDIT: 17/8/2018

Hi all, I just accidentally tried the export and now it works on teams, so looks like this has been fixed - YEEEY!

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey all. Have you look in your Downloads folder?  I just exported the data from a PBI visual in MS Teams.  I went through the process and clicked OK thinking that I would be give a dialog box to save the file to a local folder, but nothing happened.  So, I thought I was getting the same bug.  However, I just happened to look in my Downloads folder and the Excel file for the visual was there.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Syedhabeeb_26

Hi,

Hope Header icons is ON, if it is OFF then it does not work sometimes. (look below snap)

Syedhabeeb_26_0-1650956560912.png

NAOS
Helper IV
Helper IV

This is still not solved for reports embedded in apps and displayed in the Content area...

NAOS
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi all,

I'm afraid this still doesn't work in reports embedded in an app when displayed in the Content Area of the app.

I noticed there are two things that do not work:

Visual's "Export data" does not work.

Links redirecting to a file download do not work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Everyone, I found this post because I'm actually having the problem now 😞 I've checked my report settings and they are marked as "Allow end users to export both summarized and underlying data from the service or report server." I've also checked the Downloads folder and nothing is there. Is there a setting in Teams that my company could've disabled? Or is there somewhere else to look?
kbachova
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi,

I just got an email from support saying that this is not a bug but a feature that is not yet supported. Which is a surprise as initially I got a response that it is a bug. Now the only thing we can do is to vote for this to get added unfortunately - so if you are experiencing th same issues, please, vote for this:

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/32404315-the-power-bi-integrat...

Although it is weird that in the above email the support confirmed that it was a bug and now it changed to unsupported feature - bit shady tbh.

But I guess, nothing I can do about it.

Hope this gets added soon as a supported feature though.

Thanks,

Kristina

EDIT: 17/8/2018

Hi all, I just accidentally tried the export and now it works on teams, so looks like this has been fixed - YEEEY!

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Just FYI, it still isn't available 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey all. Have you look in your Downloads folder?  I just exported the data from a PBI visual in MS Teams.  I went through the process and clicked OK thinking that I would be give a dialog box to save the file to a local folder, but nothing happened.  So, I thought I was getting the same bug.  However, I just happened to look in my Downloads folder and the Excel file for the visual was there.

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I can confirm, everyone! The file is in your Downloads folder. Thanks!

kbachova
Advocate II
Advocate II

I got an email from, the support confirming that this is a bug:

bug.png

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@kbachova,

Are you able to get it work now? I can successfully export data from the report in Microsoft Teams, but I published the Power BI report to a shared workspace.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

still unable to export data. My report is published on a Power BI Workspace and the content is even shared to the Premium Capacity (EM1).

Still waiting on the response from the support team.

Thanks,

Kristina

@kbachova,

Do you still get the issue when publishing pbix file to a normal workspace(not premium workspace)?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

yes, I just tested it. Also not working on the non-Premium workspace report shared on teams.

K.

@kbachova,

I am unable to reproduce this issue. Please wait for response from MS support Team.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors