Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

skacheech
Regular Visitor

NAV 2016 - NAV Content Pack - Won't Install

Hello I have a NAV 2016 environment that I wanted to run the NAV Content Pack for.

When I try to get this Content pack using the instructions in the link: 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-content-pack-microsoft-dynamics-nav/

I get to step 5 (i type in my OData URL which I know is working, my windows username and password that has admin rights in NAV) and click sign in, and the loading circle just hangs. I've waited overnight and still it just sits there.

I read some things about having a personal gateway so i tried to install it but the installation failed could this be related). Now i don't see that step in the official link provided. Is this what is preventing me from accessing my NAV data?

I really need to get access to this NAV Content as the client is expecting it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@skacheech,

The NAV content pack is for online instance of Dynamics NAV but not for on-premises instance of NAV.

In your sceanrio, you can connnect to on-premises instance of NAV in Power BI Desktop, create reports there and publish the reports to Power BI Service. And when you need to refresh the dataset in Power BI Service, you need to use gateway.

Reagrds,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Ashique
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I'm also having the same issue.

I have installed the on-premises data gateway. The Power Bi service indicates the connection is successful.

But still I can't connect to the content pack, the loading circle just hangs.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@skacheech,

Do you connect to a on-premises instance of Dynamics NAV or an online instance of Dynamics NAV? Could you please use the Get Data->OData Feed entry in Power BI Desktop to connect to Dynamics NAV and check if it is successful?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Lydia, thanks in advance for responding.

1. Our NAV instance is On-Premises

2. After some trial and error, I was able to connect to NAV using OData using Power BI Desktop. We created a NAV instance using NAVUserPassword credentials, then created a user. Using this user and using Basic authentication in the Get Data>OData Feed wizard we were able to connect to the CRONUS demo company data.

3. We then tried again to connect to our NAV data using Power BI Online, using Basic authentication, and the user we setup above and it still just hangs. I read something about installing a gateway. Do you know if that should be our next step?

Thanks,

Dan

@skacheech,

The NAV content pack is for online instance of Dynamics NAV but not for on-premises instance of NAV.

In your sceanrio, you can connnect to on-premises instance of NAV in Power BI Desktop, create reports there and publish the reports to Power BI Service. And when you need to refresh the dataset in Power BI Service, you need to use gateway.

Reagrds,

I'm a little confused. What do you mean an online instance of Dynamics NAV? Can you send me a link with info for that version of NAV.

We have a NAV 2016 environment with OData enabled so that should give us access to the NAV data correct?

The reason we want the NAV Content Pack is because they come with out of the box reports/dashboards which the client will access via the Power BI Online service. We don't want to build those from scratch. 

Could you please clarify.

@skacheech,

If you deploy Nav in the cloud, it is online, for more details about online Dynamics NAV and on-premises NAV, you can check this blog: http://erpsoftwareblog.com/cloud/2017/03/dynamics-nav-choose-deployment-model-best-suits-business/.

Generally, the content pack is used to connect to online Dynamic NAV, if you are unable to connect to on-premises Dynamics NAV after turning your solution's authentication from 'windows' to 'username', you would need to use the OData entry in Power BI Desktop and re-create reports.

Regards,

Hi,

I'm having same issue.

So to clarify - you are saying the content pack will not work for on premise installation of NAV?

they were written in 2015. I'm not sure how many cloud installations there were then..

Could it possibly problem with using them with NAV 2017?

Hi,

I'm having same issue.

So to clarify - you are saying the content pack will not work for on premise installation of NAV?

they were written in 2015. I'm not sure how many cloud installations there were then..

Could it possibly problem with using them with NAV 2017?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors