Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple duplicating column in one step

Hello everyone!

I want to optimalize big report in my company. In this report is more than 700,000 rows, so time for refreshing is very long. In 5 steps PowerQuery creates five duplicate columns(for creating some keys).

For Example,

700,000 rows - I am adding new duplicate column, the file takes a very long time to recalculate. After that I am adding the second duplicate column and after that the file is going to recalculate again.

I want to add five duplicate columns in one step. How to do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

let

col0 = List.Repeat({List.Random(700000,111)}, 75),
    col1 = List.Random(700000,1),
    col2= List.Random(700000,2),
    col3= List.Random(700000,3),
    col4=List.Random(700000,4),
    col5=List.Random(700000,5),
    tfc= Table.Buffer(Table.FromColumns(col0&{col1,col2,col3,col4,col5})),

#"Duplicata colonna" = Table.DuplicateColumn(tfc, "Column1", "Column1 - Copia"),
    #"Duplicata colonna1" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Duplicata colonna", "Column2", "Column2 - Copia"),
    #"Duplicata colonna2" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Duplicata colonna1", "Column3", "Column3 - Copia"),
    #"Duplicata colonna3" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Duplicata colonna2", "Column4", "Column4 - Copia")

in
#"Duplicata colonna3"

Try this. be aware of using table.Buffer before you start adding duplicates. I have seen that it adds about 1k lines / sec. So in 700sec (I locked after a few seconds, though) it should complete the lap.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank your for the answer. There is short example:

let
Źródło = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Tabela1"]}[Content],
#"Zduplikowano kolumnę" = Table.DuplicateColumn(Źródło, "Value", "Value — kopia"),
#"Zduplikowano kolumnę1" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Zduplikowano kolumnę", "Country", "Country — kopia"),
#"Zduplikowano kolumnę2" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Zduplikowano kolumnę1", "Brand Manager", "Brand Manager — kopia"),
#"Zduplikowano kolumnę3" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Zduplikowano kolumnę2", "Day", "Day — kopia"),
#"Zduplikowano kolumnę4" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Zduplikowano kolumnę3", "Month", "Month — kopia")
in
#"Zduplikowano kolumnę4"

I want to merge steps(#"Zduplikowano kolumnę",#"Zduplikowano kolumnę1",#"Zduplikowano kolumnę2",#"Zduplikowano kolumnę3",#"Zduplikowano kolumnę4") for one step.

35 sec is impossible time. I have 700,000 rows and more than 80 columns in this file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

let

col0 = List.Repeat({List.Random(700000,111)}, 75),
    col5=List.Random(700000,5),
    tfc= Table.Buffer(Table.FromColumns(col0&{col1,col2,col3,col4,col5})),

#"Duplicata colonna" = Table.DuplicateColumn(tfc, "Column1", "Column1 - Copia"),
    #"Duplicata colonna1" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Duplicata colonna", "Column2", "Column2 - Copia"),
    #"Duplicata colonna2" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Duplicata colonna1", "Column3", "Column3 - Copia"),
    #"Duplicata colonna3" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Duplicata colonna2", "Column4", "Column4 - Copia")

in
#"Duplicata colonna3"

Try this. be aware of using table.Buffer before you start adding duplicates. I have seen that it adds about 1k lines / sec. So in 700sec (I locked after a few seconds, though) it should complete the lap.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You should keep the 5 columns to duplicate in a separate table.

The duplication og these takes less than 1 minute.

Test with the script I posted and measure the time.

If you carry the burden of a 700kX80 table with you then yes it takes a long time ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

let

tfc= Table.FromColumns({col1,col2,col3,col4}),

in
#"Duplicata colonna3"

this query produces the final table of 700000 lines and 4 duplicate columns at the rate of 20k lines per sec. So 700k / 20k / sec = about 35sec

this makes me think that the problem lies elsewhere.

Try to explain in more detail the situation you start from, what you do and what happens ...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors