Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple Sumifs

I have a big table (8000 rows *123 columns). I need to do sumifs (excel) in multiple columns). I found this post that helps me to group a column, but I am looking for multiple columns.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/SUMIF-and-Compounding-formula/m-p/754512

Currently I do it on excel with =SUMIFS(Table1[Area_Factor],Table1[province],province,Table1[y_2001],Category) changing the year each time.

This is an example of how the table looks like

idprovincey_2001y_2002y_2003y_2004Area_Factor
1a1forestforestforestforest30
2a1forestforestcroplandcropland25
3a1grasslandgrasslandgrasslandgrassland30
4a1forestcroplandcroplandSettlement25
5a1grasslandSettlementSettlementSettlement25
6b2forestforestforestforest21
7b2forestforestcroplandcropland21
8b2grasslandgrasslandgrasslandgrassland26
9b2grasslandcroplandcroplandSettlement26
10b2SettlementSettlementSettlementSettlement21
11c3forestforestforestforest33
12c3forestforestcroplandcropland40
13c3grasslandgrasslandgrasslandgrassland40
14c3forestcroplandcroplandSettlement33
15c3SettlementSettlementSettlementSettlement40

And this is the kind of answer I am looking for, with sums by province/category and by year

ProvinceCategory2001200220032004
a1forest80553030
a1grassland55303030
a1Settlement0252550
a1cropland0255025
b2forest42422121
b2grassland52262626
b2Settlement21212147
b2cropland0264721
c3forest106733333
c3grassland40404040
c3Settlement40404073
c3cropland0337340

I'd appreciate any guidance.

Carlos

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

this is where Power Query really shines:

1) Delete the id-column

2) Select columns: "province" and "Area-Factor"

3) Transform -> Unpivot -> Unpivot other columns

4) Check columns "Attribute" and Area -> Transform  -> Pivot (keep default aggregation-selection: Sum)

Full code to follow along (paste into advanced editor):

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("nZLLDsIgEEX/hXUX5VX1O1ySLrCim9oa4P9jeUwMKZipGzIEztzhBKUIJR3RYXms1jj/u+A9GTtFWJuZ7Pqe9XIvSyYjx4F7Wu1cPsPUOVfscutxV+P9bF5m8d9sWcsuLrY3ucWwlTeGVMVoZE5tpqEqcWfgjqpiQ+QvNR5jK+G0Bx6pqGyS3kCD7olj/xZPEGtD9flF+hyUA3hUGTQQu2SEMBhbAvyPsDDB+AE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [id = _t, province = _t, y_2001 = _t, y_2002 = _t, y_2003 = _t, y_2004 = _t, Area_Factor = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"id", Int64.Type}, {"province", type text}, {"y_2001", type text}, {"y_2002", type text}, {"y_2003", type text}, {"y_2004", type text}, {"Area_Factor", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"id"}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Removed Columns", {"province", "Area_Factor"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", List.Distinct(#"Unpivoted Other Columns"[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Area_Factor", List.Sum)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

this is where Power Query really shines:

1) Delete the id-column

2) Select columns: "province" and "Area-Factor"

3) Transform -> Unpivot -> Unpivot other columns

4) Check columns "Attribute" and Area -> Transform  -> Pivot (keep default aggregation-selection: Sum)

Full code to follow along (paste into advanced editor):

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("nZLLDsIgEEX/hXUX5VX1O1ySLrCim9oa4P9jeUwMKZipGzIEztzhBKUIJR3RYXms1jj/u+A9GTtFWJuZ7Pqe9XIvSyYjx4F7Wu1cPsPUOVfscutxV+P9bF5m8d9sWcsuLrY3ucWwlTeGVMVoZE5tpqEqcWfgjqpiQ+QvNR5jK+G0Bx6pqGyS3kCD7olj/xZPEGtD9flF+hyUA3hUGTQQu2SEMBhbAvyPsDDB+AE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [id = _t, province = _t, y_2001 = _t, y_2002 = _t, y_2003 = _t, y_2004 = _t, Area_Factor = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"id", Int64.Type}, {"province", type text}, {"y_2001", type text}, {"y_2002", type text}, {"y_2003", type text}, {"y_2004", type text}, {"Area_Factor", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"id"}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Removed Columns", {"province", "Area_Factor"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", List.Distinct(#"Unpivoted Other Columns"[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Area_Factor", List.Sum)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! Thank you.. the answer was exactly what I wanted.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello

you have to apply a UnPivotOther to unpivot you years-columns, then rename the year (if you want to delete the y_) and afterwards delete the ID-Column and Pivot it again. Here the code

let
	Source = #table 
	(
		{"id","province","y_2001","y_2002","y_2003","y_2004","Area_Factor"},
		{ {"1","a1","forest","forest","forest","forest","30"}, {"2","a1","forest","forest","cropland","cropland","25"}, {"3","a1","grassland","grassland","grassland","grassland","30"}, {"4","a1","forest","cropland","cropland","Settlement","25"}, {"5","a1","grassland","Settlement","Settlement","Settlement","25"}, {"6","b2","forest","forest","forest","forest","21"}, {"7","b2","forest","forest","cropland","cropland","21"}, {"8","b2","grassland","grassland","grassland","grassland","26"}, {"9","b2","grassland","cropland","cropland","Settlement","26"}, {"10","b2","Settlement","Settlement","Settlement","Settlement","21"}, {"11","c3","forest","forest","forest","forest","33"}, {"12","c3","forest","forest","cropland","cropland","40"}, {"13","c3","grassland","grassland","grassland","grassland","40"}, {"14","c3","forest","cropland","cropland","Settlement","33"}, {"15","c3","Settlement","Settlement","Settlement","Settlement","40"} } 
	),
	ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes
	(
		Source,
		{{"Area_Factor", type number}}
	),
	UnpivotOther = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns
	(
		ChangedType,
		{"id", "province", "Area_Factor"},
		"Attribute",
		"Value"
	),
	DeleteID = Table.RemoveColumns
	(
		UnpivotOther,
		{"id"}
	),
	ReplaceY_ = Table.ReplaceValue
	(
		DeleteID,
		"y_",
		"",
		Replacer.ReplaceText,
		{"Attribute"}
	),
	PivotYear = Table.Pivot
	(
		ReplaceY_,
		List.Distinct
		(
			ReplaceY_[Attribute]
		),
		"Attribute",
		"Area_Factor",
		each if List.IsEmpty
		(
			_
		)
	then 0 else List.Sum
	(
		_
	)
)
 in 
	PivotYear

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works. If this solution fits your need, copy and past a part of it and implement it in your query.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors