Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Waldie
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Stripe Data Connections

Hi,

Relative newcomer to PowerBI but have been enjoying explorign the capabilites.

Have stumbled across a little problem with multiple data connections to the same service but with different authentication keys.

A business uses Stripe for payment services and they have multiple account behind their Stripe login for each individual brand associated with the business.

As such each account has its own secret key for data connections. I have built individual brand level reports which are working fine.

But it seems when I update the keys either in desktop prior to publishing, or directly via app.powerbi.com, the most recent authentication key takes over both connections resulting in identical data counts post refresh.

The data sets have their own namaes and are published separately.

I could have sworn this was working last week but having no luck this week.

Hopefully a simple knowledge base issue.

Thanks.

W

9 REPLIES 9
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Waldie,

I am not very clear about your scenario. Could you please post the connections in your Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service? Do mask sensitive data before uploading connection strings.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia and thanks for replying.

(I had a lot of difficulty replying to the post, it kept saying successful, but hadn't actually posted anything.......)

I'll try to clarify.

Last week I built 2 x reports in the Power BI Desktop, which both have a data connection using the Get Data Stripe service.

Capture 1 - Get Data Stripe.JPGCapture 2 - Stripe Feed Key.JPG

Each report concerns a different brand of the same client / business, our single login to Stripe accesses both brand accounts but each of the businesses brands has its own authentication key in Stripe. I expect this is simialr for many SaaS solutions online.

So, I created a .pbix for brand 1 in Power Bi desktop, get data for Stripe, input authentication key 1, select and transform the required data, build the report, publish the report to my workspace on app.powerbi.com and schedule an overnight refresh.

All looks good.

I create a second .pbix for brand 2 in Power Bi desktop, get data for Stripe, input authentication key 2, select and transform the required data, build the report, publish the report to my workspace on app.powerbi.com and schedule another overnight refresh for this separate data set.

Capture 3 - Two Data Sets Online.JPG

All looks good, both when viewing the reports and the data sets.

When I returned to Power Bi desktop this week and refreshed the data both reports were showing the same numbers / data / facts for brand 2.

Evidently the global permissions on my local machine were only storing the most recent authentication. I understand this is a limitation of these connections on Power BI desktop currently? In effect I can only work on one report at a time as only one authentication key is held on my machine.

However online in my workspace there are no global permissions and there are two distinct reports with two distinct data sets, both using the Stripe connection with different keys.

However after refreshing the reports online, they too only show the data for the most recently authenticated key.

Is this just not possible?

I will try publishing them to separate workspaces next, perhaps that will allow 2 Stripe connections.

Hope that's clearer.

Thanks in advance.

W.

Was this ever resolved for you? 

Waldie
Frequent Visitor

Afraid not. Ended up using an alternative. Of course that was a year ago, so it may have been resolved since but we had to move on so I havent been on BI to know.

w.

@Waldie,

When you cconnect to Stripe data in the second PBIX file, do you delete the permissions for the existing stripe data source under global permissions?

Regards,

Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I didnt delete the permissions, the first few times I refreshed and published as I was not aware of the global permission.

Subsequently, I tried creating connection, publishing report 1, deleting the global connection, creating new connection, publishing report 2. Also didn't work.

Tested creating serparate workspaces for the individual brands but that also did not work. After the scheduled refresh overnight both reports show the same data.

Thanks

W.

Waldie
Frequent Visitor

It seems this just isn't supported currently and I expect it applies to other get data services.

The last thing I will be trying is creating the reports on Power BI desktop under different Windows profile logins, just waiting on IT to create the new accounts for me. I suspect the Power BI web service will still override the published multiple connections and use just one though.

Maybe time to scope alternatives.

W.

@Waldie,

How is the issue going?

Regards,
Lydia

Still awaiting on IT to create a second windows profile / login to at least test that as a workaround.

But having to use an alternative BI solution for the specific client requirement.

Thanks

W.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors