cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PPalkowski Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Sort Columns, Token Comma Error

In power Query I was trying to sort by using two columns and I keep getting this error.

Expression.SyntaxError: Toekn Comma expected.

= let
Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("M:\Quarterly KPI\KPI Data.xlsx"), null, true),
ALLDATA_Sheet = Source{[Item="ALLDATA",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(ALLDATA_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"QRT", type text}, {"MONTH", type text}, {"CAT", type text}, {"TYPE", type text}, {"VALUE", Int64.Type}}),
#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort({{"MONTH", Order.Ascending}},{"CatSort",Order.Ascending}})
in
#"Changed Type"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Multiple Sort Columns, Token Comma Error

Hi PPalkowski,

Whehn you want to sort, you could refer to refer to below M code(which refer to previous step's result and sort acs)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSlTSUTICYQNDS31DfUOlWJ1opSSggDFM0AhJ0AxdJUi7OYrKWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [name = _t, amount = _t, date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"name", type text}, {"amount", Int64.Type}, {"date", type date}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"date", Order.Ascending}, {"amount", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

You need remove }   from MONTH, and add a reference in sort function.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jborro Member

Hi @PPalkowski

I think you have an extra closing } after the first sorting condition in
Table.Sort({{"MONTH", Order.Ascending}} /* <- */,{"CatSort",Order.Ascending}})

Kind regards
JB
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi PPalkowski,

Whehn you want to sort, you could refer to refer to below M code(which refer to previous step's result and sort acs)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSlTSUTICYQNDS31DfUOlWJ1opSSggDFM0AhJ0AxdJUi7OYrKWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [name = _t, amount = _t, date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"name", type text}, {"amount", Int64.Type}, {"date", type date}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"date", Order.Ascending}, {"amount", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

You need remove }   from MONTH, and add a reference in sort function.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Kudos Received Badges Coming

New Kudos Received Badges Coming

Kudos to you if you earned one of these! Check your inbox for a notification.

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Learn about the award-winning innovation that was implemented across Microsoft’s Business Applications Communities.

Power Platform World Tour

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,915)