Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jordandakota
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Reports - One Dataset: SSAS Live Connection?

I know you can create a dataset in Power BI, upload it to the service (import) and then in the future use Power BI Service Live Connection to connect to that dataset and create new reports that do NOT generate new datasets when you publish them from desktop to the service.

What I'm trying to make sure I can/can't do is, can we live connect to an on-premise SSAS tabular cube, publish this to the service, and then in the future use Power BI Service Live Connection to this dataset? Or do I need to? Having many datasets in the service is confusing our users. How can I cut down on this while also managing our shared connections via on-premise cubes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

when you try to connect to Power BI Live connection you are asked to choose workspace and then dataset in that workspace, when you publish this file you will not get duplicate data set in that workspace. 

I verified, this should work with out creating duplicate dataset in the same workspace.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

To my understanding,

You have to do the same as what you used to do with PowerBI Imported file.

Publish the data set which is live connected to on-prem SSAS tabular cube which will create a dataset in the Service and then in the future use Power BI Service Live Connection to connect to that dataset and create new reports that do not generate new datasets when you publish them from desktop to the service. 

Yes, I'm trying to do that, but when I live connect to the power bi service I'm having to choose the db and when I republish it creates a new data set.

Anonymous
Not applicable

when you try to connect to Power BI Live connection you are asked to choose workspace and then dataset in that workspace, when you publish this file you will not get duplicate data set in that workspace. 

I verified, this should work with out creating duplicate dataset in the same workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors