Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple Region Number formats in a Single Column

Hello, I have a file that runs a macro, and then downloads some SAP records.  

Then a query retrieves this data, but the thing is that when it brings the data, depending on the user's region, it could be downloaded as "en-US" which is american format for numbers, or it could be downloaded as European format.   

The column can have up to 2 different number formats:   

1. american format: commas for thousands and points for decimals, (1,240.22) or viceversa 
  2. european format: points for thousands and commas for decimals. (1.240,22) 

The column at first has a Text data type, and then when I transform it into Decimal data type, I get an error for the European records.

--> What I want to do is to standardize this into a single format, in this case, American Format "en-US".

I was thinking maybe with one of these formulas: Number.FromText () or Number.From() but I'm not being able to because  

Maybe if I combine that function with a List function it could turn out. 

I'm not profficient with M language so I could use a little help for this. 

emilianoalvz_0-1656644042614.png

What I wanted with this approach is to create an error-proof step, so no matter where the user is from, that in the end the data is standardized into a single format.

Has anyone had this type of error before?

I don't know if my approach is correct or if there's a better way to solve this issue; to standardize multiple number formats of a column into a single format. Actually I want to apply this for several columns but knowing how to solve it for one, I can replicate that to the other necessary columns.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=Table.TransformColumns(PreviousStepName,{"ColumnName",each let a=Text.SplitAny(Text.From(_),",.") in Number.From(Text.Combine(List.ReplaceRange(a,List.Count(a)-1,0,{"."})),"en-US")})

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot, we were struggling a lot with this issue, you saved us!

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=Table.TransformColumns(PreviousStepName,{"ColumnName",each let a=Text.SplitAny(Text.From(_),",.") in Number.From(Text.Combine(List.ReplaceRange(a,List.Count(a)-1,0,{"."})),"en-US")})

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors