Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mrbuttons07
Helper II
Helper II

Multiple CountIf function in Power Query

Hello everyone,

I would like to enforce a countif function in from a data source I have.

There are multiple columns containing a "Yes", "No" data. Is there a way I can enforce a countif function using Power Query?

mrbuttons07_0-1598334972245.png

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mrbuttons07 

Please try the following code, I have added two columns as requested:

Fowmy_0-1598420927197.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcnEMcVTSwUbF6sBl/fxhBLoMsgKIXCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t, Column4 = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "1st Two Columns", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(Record.SelectFields(_,{"Column1","Column2"})), each _ =  "NO"))),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "2nd Two Columns", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(Record.SelectFields(_,{"Column3","Column4"})), each _ =  "NO")))
in
    #"Added Custom1"

If my answer was helpful, please mark it as a solution

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube
LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @mrbuttons07 

you can make a countif with Table.RowsCount and Table.SelectRows. Basically first filter the table and then count the rows.

this code would look like this

CountIf = Table.RowCount(Table.SelectRows(PreviousStep, each [A]="yes" and [B]="yes" and [C]="no"))

Here the complete example

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WqkwtVtKBknn5SrE60QgOXATGRlOCIOGKUIXQDY8FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [A = _t, B = _t, C = _t]),
    PreviousStep = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"A", type text}, {"B", type text}, {"C", type text}}), 
    CountIf = Table.RowCount(Table.SelectRows(PreviousStep, each [A]="yes" and [B]="yes" and [C]="no"))
in
    CountIf

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@mrbuttons07 

Can you share some sample data and the expected result to have a clear understanding of your question?
You can save your files in OneDrive, Google Drive, or any other cloud sharing platforms and share the link here.

YouTube, LinkedIn

Hi @Fowmy ,

Since the data is confidential, I have sent a modified excel file for you to have a look at it. FYI, data that I'm using comes from a Sharepoint list connected to Excel.

What I would like to achieve is a COUNTIF Function on columns. If any of these columns contains a "No", then it should count as 1.

mrbuttons07_0-1598337357326.png

I don't think conditional formatting column works because it doesn't seem to count the next column after that. I have thought of using excel formula but it would be easier if I can achieve this in Power Query itself.

Thanks!

Hello @mrbuttons07 

you can add this formula to a new column 

if List.AnyTrue(List.Transform(Record.ToList(_), each _ = "no"))=true then 1 else 0

this gives you 1 if a "no" is present in your row

here the complete code

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WqkwtVtKBknn5SrE60QgOXATGRlOCIOGKUIXQDY8FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [A = _t, B = _t, C = _t]),
    PreviousStep = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"A", type text}, {"B", type text}, {"C", type text}}),
    AddCountIf = Table.AddColumn
    (
        PreviousStep,
        "CountIfNo",
        each if List.AnyTrue(List.Transform(Record.ToList(_), each _ = "no"))=true then 1 else 0
    )
in
    AddCountIf

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

@mrbuttons07 

Try this in a blank query and you can copy the following code in blank query and check the steps.

Fowmy_0-1598341101534.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcnEMcVTSwUbF6sBl/fxhBLoMsgKIXCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t, Column4 = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "New Col", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each _ =  "NO")))
in
    #"Added Custom"

If my answer was helpful, please mark this post as a solution, this will also help others!.

YouTube
LinkedIn

Hi there @Fowmy 

Your code works! Thanks a lot!

However, I would like to see if I'm able to group the columns. Example, Column 1, Column 2 and Column 3 into a new COUNTIF Column. Then Column 4, Column 5 and Column 6 into another new COUNTIF Column. 

With you current code, do I need to separate each columns into separate subset code?

@mrbuttons07 

Please try the following code, I have added two columns as requested:

Fowmy_0-1598420927197.png

let
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "1st Two Columns", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(Record.SelectFields(_,{"Column1","Column2"})), each _ =  "NO"))),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "2nd Two Columns", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(Record.SelectFields(_,{"Column3","Column4"})), each _ =  "NO")))
in
    #"Added Custom1"

If my answer was helpful, please mark it as a solution

YouTube
LinkedIn

Hi @Fowmy 

Thanks a lot! It works!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors