Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gugan_BI
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Add column

Hi,

Currently working on power bi solution which connects to dynamics 365. There are few optionset fields that need to be converted to actual values. I use the below query to get actual value of optionset.

=Table.addcolumn(#"add custom","label", each  value.metadata([optionsetid])[OData.Community.Display.V1.FormattedValue]?)

I've around 5 optionset columns. Finally it ends up five add column steps for each optionset.

Just checking  is there option to perform in single step. To see if I can minimize the number of steps.

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok.

Then you have to generate/construct the somethinkID list.

You can create manually a list:

lstID={productid,statusid,responseid} or select in somw way from column names list

lstID= List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(tbl), each Text.EndsWith(_,"id"))

Then you have to generate/construct in similar way a labelList.

lstLabel={l1,l2,l3}

Finally you could use list accumulate in the way I showed you.

ASs I don't know the value.metadata function

and MS explanation is very succint

image.png

I try to understand the way you used it.

You should use, i think, in this way inside Table.addcolumn funcion:

List.accumulate({0..2},tbl, (s,c)=>List.AddColumn(s,  listLabel{c}, each value.metadata(table.Column(s, lstID{c})) )

check the sintax and try.

I don't have time now to go more in depth

View solution in original post

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Gugan_BI 

As is suggested by @Gugan_BI , you may use 'Table.AddColumn' function within 'List.Accumulate' function. I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

b1.png

Then you may add a new step with the following m codes.

= let 
names = Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"),
list = List.Select(names,each Text.EndsWith(_,"id")),
re = List.Accumulate(
     list,
     #"Changed Type",
     (s,c)=>Table.AddColumn(s,c&"_label",each Value.Metadata( Table.Column(#"Changed Type",c) )[OData.Community.Display.V1.FormattedValue]?)

)
in 
re

Result:

b2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Gugan_BI
Frequent Visitor

Thanks both.

List.accumulate did a trick. Number of steps for add column reduced from 5 to 1.

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Gugan_BI 

As is suggested by @Gugan_BI , you may use 'Table.AddColumn' function within 'List.Accumulate' function. I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

b1.png

Then you may add a new step with the following m codes.

= let 
names = Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"),
list = List.Select(names,each Text.EndsWith(_,"id")),
re = List.Accumulate(
     list,
     #"Changed Type",
     (s,c)=>Table.AddColumn(s,c&"_label",each Value.Metadata( Table.Column(#"Changed Type",c) )[OData.Community.Display.V1.FormattedValue]?)

)
in 
re

Result:

b2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Gugan_BI
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for response.

Given below more details. Fundid, statusid and response id are id values (some system generate id from Dynamics)

using below query will give the label/description of each id column.

value.metadata([statusid])[OData.Community.Display.V1.FormattedValue]?

created 3 new columns to get actual description of id values. Product_lablel, Status_label and response_label are new column that contains the description of id values.

so trying to see if i can combine the below three steps into minimal steps.  I may have more such id columns. 

#"add custom" =Table.addcolumn(table1,"product_label", each  value.metadata([productid])[OData.Community.Display.V1.FormattedValue]?)

#"add custom1" =Table.addcolumn(#"add custom","Status_label", each  value.metadata([statusid])[OData.Community.Display.V1.FormattedValue]?)

#"add custom2" =Table.addcolumn(#"add custom1","response_label", each  value.metadata([responseid])[OData.Community.Display.V1.FormattedValue]?)

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok.

Then you have to generate/construct the somethinkID list.

You can create manually a list:

lstID={productid,statusid,responseid} or select in somw way from column names list

lstID= List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(tbl), each Text.EndsWith(_,"id"))

Then you have to generate/construct in similar way a labelList.

lstLabel={l1,l2,l3}

Finally you could use list accumulate in the way I showed you.

ASs I don't know the value.metadata function

and MS explanation is very succint

image.png

I try to understand the way you used it.

You should use, i think, in this way inside Table.addcolumn funcion:

List.accumulate({0..2},tbl, (s,c)=>List.AddColumn(s,  listLabel{c}, each value.metadata(table.Column(s, lstID{c})) )

check the sintax and try.

I don't have time now to go more in depth

Anonymous
Not applicable

the details you are referring to are not clear to me, but maybe I understand what your need is. So I offer you an idea in very general terms. See for yourself if you can apply it to your case.

Try using somethink similar to

listOtionSet

listLabel

range={0..List.Count(listOptionSet)}

List.Accumulate (range, table, (s, c) => table.AddColumn (s, each listLabel{c}, value.metadata (/*to be dereferenced*/[listOptionSet{c}])[OData.Community.Display.V1.FormattedValue]?)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors