Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mjohnsonsmi
Frequent Visitor

Multi user/user specific reporting environment best practices

Hello,

This will be integrated into Salesforce as an embedded report, proof of concept is functional. Just thinking on next steps.

I've created a master reporting template for our sales team. However each member needs to only see data relevant to their territories. Shooting from the hip I would create a copy of this report template, apply a top level filter to show guy #1 and embed that report into his Salesforce account.

That would be functional, but I'd forever have to make changes to a lot of reports whenever we make a layout update, add a report, etc. Is there an easier to manage way?

Each record set has their email address and name (which matches Azure, O365 and Salesforce). Can this be dynamically matched to only show user1@domain.com records that contain user1@domain.com or Joe Bob only sees Joe Bob's records?

In case it matters, this data resides on a local Access DB that I'm syncing up to Power BI > Azure > Salesforce. I'm the only one doing any data publishing, manipulation, etc. The sales team is just accessing my output.

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As an FYI for the rest of the world I found what needed doing at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls. Very easy to setup from the desktop client and you apply the permissions on the dataset from within your app.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I believe that you want to investigate Row Level Security.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you! I'll look into that this week.

As an FYI for the rest of the world I found what needed doing at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls. Very easy to setup from the desktop client and you apply the permissions on the dataset from within your app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors