Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jbbcormed
Frequent Visitor

Moving from Power BI Desktop to Tabular Model in SSAS and having trouble with tables (queries)

Hello,

I am an intermediate level Power BI user at previous companies but the company I am working at now prefers I use Tabular models in SSAS and connect to those from Power BI so I am learning the differences between the two approaches.

In the past I have used a Calendar table that references the dates in my fact table dynamically in Power Query M - like this - 

StartDate = DateTime.From(List.Min(#"MyFactTable"[Date])),

EndDate = DateTime.From(List.Max(#"MyFactTable"[Date])),

If I use this article here to import the table from a SQL Query, the "expression" disappears from the the expression section and is now a part of my table section. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/ssas-import-query?view=asallproduc...

So I am unable to reference the original query as it's not part of my expressions any more. When I commit the tables individually, they appear be to in thier own partition?

I think I need to get these tables , Calendar and Fact in the same partition so I can reference them in Power Query M?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/create-and-manage-tabular-model-pa...

But I am not sure if that is right path, any help would be appreciated!

To restate my problem, I am trying to reference a Power Query M query in a 2nd Power Query M query (I do this all the time in Power BI Desktop), but can't figure out how to so it with the query (they are called tables in Tabular models) in SSAS Tabular Model project, Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @jbbcormed ,

I doubt live connections allow you use edit query mode . I do not think you have access to edit query.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my reply as a solution!

Thank you for your reply.

You are correct within Power BI Desktop.

but my question is about Tabular model ETL in SSAS using Power Query, is there a forum where that is discussed?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors