Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CosmicHorse95
Advocate I
Advocate I

Moving and Renaming Excel File

Hello,

While trying to figure out how to use Power BI, I used different files in different locations. On my third "practice," I ended up getting carried away and created my whole report.

However, I didn't think ahead that I'd be renaming a file, or moving it to a different location to make it so adding to the file as time goes on would make the most sense.

My question is ultimately:

If I rename my excel file (was: ABC    renamed to: XYZ) and move it to a new location (was: on desktop    moved to: Company share drive) is there anyway to salvage my report and allow it to continue to update/refresh so that I don't have to start from scratch?

Please ask if you need clarification.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @CosmicHorse95 ,

You can use data source settings and change your excel.

Untitled.png

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @CosmicHorse95 ,

You can use data source settings and change your excel.

Untitled.png

Hope this helps.

@mussaenda ,  I recently tried this with a report of my own.  The Excel file was in sharepoint and had to be moved to a different location within sharepoint.  When I changed the source, my report got "stuck" on "Evaluating" when I applied the changes.  Do you happen to know if there is a fix, or if I possibly missed something?

Sorry if its a silly question, but I am totally new to BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors