Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

matty_pants
Frequent Visitor

Modify timestamp across many (20) tables by batch process

I have two dozen tables that I need to merge into one table and the common row value, the Timestamp, has a slight variation in the seconds from table to table. Is there a way to batch change the timestamp to make the seconds null across the tables? The timestamps increase by 30 minutes across all tables otherwise. 

The pbix file is found here:  https://filebin.net/4kxvw3rpw0efyd4g/2019-07-10_Roy_Bickell_RCA_Trends.pbix?t=6v8cdunf  (New location that doesn't require Dropbox account).

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @matty_pants,

unfortunately, you have to add a step to every table.
Unless you combine all tables into one table at first and then transform the column Timestamp at once. It depends on what your next step is going to be.

An example how to use the conversion:

let
    Source = Sql.Databases("10.7.10.186\RCARCHIVE"),
    #"ROY BICKELL SCHOOL" = Source{[Name="ROY BICKELL SCHOOL"]}[Data],
    dbo_1000MTL24 = #"ROY BICKELL SCHOOL"{[Schema="dbo",Item="1000MTL24"]}[Data],
    TimestampWithoutSeconds = Table.TransformColumns(dbo_1000MTL24, {{"Timestamp", each #time(Time.Hour(_), Time.Minute(_), 0)}})in
    TimestampWithoutSeconds

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @matty_pants,

unfortunately, I can't open your sample because only registered users of Dropbox can access the file.

But if I understand you right, you want to remove seconds from a timestamp.

I'd try to create a new timestamp from hours and minutes.

each #time(Time.Hour([Timestamp]), Time.Minute([Timestamp]), 0)

You could also just substract seconds but I don't recommend that because there can also be a subsecond part like 10:20:30,123 which has 123 milliseconds.

Thanks Nolock. How does I implement this? And will it apply to timestamps across many tables at once? (I've updated the link to something outside DB).

Hi @matty_pants,

unfortunately, you have to add a step to every table.
Unless you combine all tables into one table at first and then transform the column Timestamp at once. It depends on what your next step is going to be.

An example how to use the conversion:

let
    Source = Sql.Databases("10.7.10.186\RCARCHIVE"),
    #"ROY BICKELL SCHOOL" = Source{[Name="ROY BICKELL SCHOOL"]}[Data],
    dbo_1000MTL24 = #"ROY BICKELL SCHOOL"{[Schema="dbo",Item="1000MTL24"]}[Data],
    TimestampWithoutSeconds = Table.TransformColumns(dbo_1000MTL24, {{"Timestamp", each #time(Time.Hour(_), Time.Minute(_), 0)}})in
    TimestampWithoutSeconds

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors