Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pe2950
Helper I
Helper I

Microsoft Teams Share - Users With Free Licenses?

I'm currently licnesed for PowerBI Pro.

Users have PowerBI Free Licenses

I've created a tab for powerBI and share a report that is published to the teams workspace. 

The users all have "View Only" permissions in Power BI. 

Users are unable to view the report, do they require a premium license just to be able to view the report?

As a workaround, i published it to a sharepoint page, and linked the sharepoint page; but it seems i should be able to publish through the powerBI tab in teams and allow them to at least view it without a license. Can someone point out what i am doing wrong?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pro is a license assigned to Users.

Premium is a license to lease capacity.

Free users are unable to share.

Free users are unable to view shared reports unless the report itself is hosted in premium capacity.

Power BI reports hosted on a SharePoint or Teams is simply a convenient window to the Power BI Service and the users permissions are passed through.  The above restrictions apply.

To achieve what you were hoping for, there is an inbetween license called "Power BI Embedded", which can be used to host Power BI reports within Websites and Applications.

View solution in original post

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@pe2950,

Adding to other's post, you can use publish to web  feature to share the report to your users if the users only have free license. 

But please note that when you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet. Avoid publishing confidential or proprietary information. 

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@pe2950,

Adding to other's post, you can use publish to web  feature to share the report to your users if the users only have free license. 

But please note that when you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet. Avoid publishing confidential or proprietary information. 

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pro is a license assigned to Users.

Premium is a license to lease capacity.

Free users are unable to share.

Free users are unable to view shared reports unless the report itself is hosted in premium capacity.

Power BI reports hosted on a SharePoint or Teams is simply a convenient window to the Power BI Service and the users permissions are passed through.  The above restrictions apply.

To achieve what you were hoping for, there is an inbetween license called "Power BI Embedded", which can be used to host Power BI reports within Websites and Applications.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors