Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

srduval
Helper II
Helper II

Microsoft SQL: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'exec'. Incorrect syntax near ')'.

I have a SP in Azure SQL Database, the SP runs fine in azure and into the transform (power query) window, but it's unable to load into the data model. It returns back Microsoft SQL: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'exec'.
Incorrect syntax near ')'.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @srduval 

Do you import data or use direct-query?

Check the document below to see if you do the right thing.

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/execute-sql-server-stored-procedure-with-user-parameter-in-pow...

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
eduardosa
Frequent Visitor

I'm getting this error on calling MSSQL Stored Procedures by Power Query, when:

1. Calling more than one transformation on parameters,
  2. Calling Stored Procedure in Direct Query mode.

Both the scenarios I'm showing work on the Power Query Editor.

The error shows when loading the data onto the PowerBI file.

This seems to be a bug on the interface that calls the MSSQL code. From my point of view it should not require the work around of calling the SP by a function, as it was suggested.

I've been able to call the SP without the need for the "fuction", (this code works on Import Mode), and load data into PowerBI.

Sql.Database(#"Server", #"DB", [Query="EXEC [Stored_Procedure] '" & Date.ToText( RangeStart_Date , [Format="yyyy-MM-dd"] ) & "', '" & Date.ToText( RangeEnd_Date, [Format="yyyy-MM-dd"] ) & "'"])

However when I call an extra date transformation, from DateTime -> Date, the code throughs the error: Microsoft SQL: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'exec'. Incorrect syntax near ')'

Sql.Database(#"Server", #"DB", [Query="EXEC [Stored_Procedure] '" & Date.ToText( DateTime.Date( RangeStart ) , [Format="yyyy-MM-dd"] ) & "', '" & Date.ToText( DateTime.Date( RangeEnd_Date ), [Format="yyyy-MM-dd"] ) & "'"])

What's happening here?

yatheeshaworks
Frequent Visitor

same issue but i need in direct query is it any solution.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @srduval 

Do you import data or use direct-query?

Check the document below to see if you do the right thing.

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/execute-sql-server-stored-procedure-with-user-parameter-in-pow...

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

my mistake I must have been using direct query on accident. Works fine today on import

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors