Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Brian704
Regular Visitor

Microsoft 365 Usage Analytics

I'm very new at this. I'm trying to generate a report that contains only email acivity for a handful of email accounts for the past week. The data is available that way as a download from the Admin report site, but I can't seem to recreate it in PowerBI or Excel. I can get the list filtered to just the accounts I need, but I have been unable to figure out how to limit the time. I have tried adding UserState->Timeframe and I do get the Months listed but all the data disappears unless I select December, so I have a feeling either the TimeFrame is not what I want or the email data is not the correct data. I am using the EXO_TotalEmailRead dataset. I thought I wanted EXO_MailRead under user activity, but it will not let me put that in the Value area.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Brian704
Regular Visitor

Correct - the Microsoft 365 Usage Analytics Template App. 

Hi @Brian704 

I feel like it probably could not meet your need. You could refer to below documentation. 

Microsoft 365 usage analytics data model - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Docs

Microsoft 365 usage analytics - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Docs

In the first link, it indicates that all "Timeframe" fields are Month value. It is not detailed into weekly or daily data.

In the second link, there are below statements:

User activity

User activity reports are available for certain individual services. These reports provide user-level detail usage data joined with Active Directory attributes. In addition, the Department Adoption report lets you slice by Active Directory attributes so that you can see active users across all individual services. All metrics are aggregated for the latest complete month. To view the content date, navigate to the table page and select UserActivity table where the value under TimeFrame provides the reporting period.

For which timeframe is data available?

The majority of the reports display data for the previous 12 months. However, some of the charts may show less history since the data collection for different products and reports were started at different times and thus data for the full 12 months might not be available. All the reports will eventually build up to 12 months of history. Reports that show user level details show data for the previous complete month.

How often is the data refreshed?

When you connect to the template app for the first time, it will automatically populate with your data for the previous 12 months. After that, the template app data will refresh weekly. Customers can choose to modify the refresh schedule if their use of this data demands a different update rhythm.

The back-end Microsoft 365 service will refresh data on a daily basis and provides data that is between 5-8 days latent from the current date.

The Content date column in each dataset represents the freshness date of the data in the template app.

You may have a look at Audit Logs in Microsoft 365 compliance center. You can search and export Exchange mailbox activities data there, then use it to build reports in Power BI. See Search the audit log in the Microsoft 365 compliance center - Microsoft 365 Compliance | Microsoft D...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Brian704 

I'm not very famaliar with Microsoft 365 Usage Analytics. Are you trying to get data from below web page? Did you export data from some chart and try to filter it with Power Query? I don't see fields like UserState->Timeframe and I don't know where EXO_TotalEmailRead or EXO_MailRead datasets are from. Can you help guide where I can find it?

22012403.jpg

Or maybe you are mentioning the Microsoft 365 Usage Analytics Template App in Power BI Service?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors