Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

apoje
Helper II
Helper II

Merging tables by 2 conditions - one by exact and one by the clossest less than or equal to value

HI,

I have two tables which I would like to merge by 2 conditions.

1st condition is simple and it is an exact match - the atributte is a text classification.

2nd condition is a bit tricky: I need the match to be the clossest "less than or equal to" value - here the values are decimal numbers . 

I saw some posts reffering to fuzzy merge - but I think this applies only to text values and I also do not see this option anywhere..

I appreciate the help!

Andraz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @apoje 

try to change your query tbl_weight like this

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="tbl_weight"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ParcelType", type text}, {"Weight", Int64.Type}, {"Marketplace", type text}, {"Price", type number}}),
    #"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte" = Table.AddColumn
    (
    #"Changed Type", 
    "Benutzerdefiniert", 
    each Table.First(Table.Sort(
    Table.SelectRows
    (
    tbl_items, 
    (select)=> select[#"Package-Classification"] = [ParcelType] and select[#"item-package-weight"]<= [Weight]
    ),
    {{"item-package-weight", Order.Ascending}}))
    ),
    #"Erweiterte Benutzerdefiniert" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "Benutzerdefiniert", {"sku", "item-package-weight", "unit-of-weight", "Package-Classification"}, {"Benutzerdefiniert.sku", "Benutzerdefiniert.item-package-weight", "Benutzerdefiniert.unit-of-weight", "Benutzerdefiniert.Package-Classification"})
in
    #"Erweiterte Benutzerdefiniert"

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution.
Kudos are nice to - thanks
Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello
are there any news on this topic? Did solve or help any reply your problem?
If this is the case, please mark it as solution.

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

As you suspect, fuzzy merge does not apply to numbers. The code below may be what you are looking for.

First table_items

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="tbl_items"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"sku", type text}, {"item-package-weight", type number}, {"unit-of-weight", type text}, {"Package-Classification", type text}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"Package-Classification"},tbl_weight,{"ParcelType"},"tbl_weight",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    AddFilterFirst = Table.AddColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Custom", each Table.First(Table.SelectRows([tbl_weight],
(row) => [#"item-package-weight"] <= 
row[Weight]))),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(AddFilterFirst, "Custom", {"Marketplace", "Price"}, {"Marketplace", "Price"})
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

Now table_weight

let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ParcelType", type text}, {"Weight", Int64.Type}, {"Marketplace", type text}, {"Price", type number}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"ParcelType", Order.Ascending}, {"Weight", Order.Ascending}}),
    Buffer = Table.Buffer(#"Sorted Rows")
in
    Buffer
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi apoje,

Yes, if possible, could you please inform me more detailed information(such as your expected output and your sample data)? Then I will help you more correctly.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @dax  and @Mariusz ,

the data is below: 

https://ipotechnik-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/andraz_poje_ipotechnik_de/EVBZG6g5XylEpfc3pRLLeP...

Tables I want to match are in seperate sheets and in PQ are already matched by ParcelType criteria, which is an exact one. Now I would like to expand only the rows that match the most by weight - in order to thet the shipping price of the parcel

Thank you!

Andraz

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @apoje 

try to change your query tbl_weight like this

let
    #"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte" = Table.AddColumn
    (
    #"Changed Type", 
    "Benutzerdefiniert", 
    each Table.First(Table.Sort(
    Table.SelectRows
    (
    tbl_items, 
    (select)=> select[#"Package-Classification"] = [ParcelType] and select[#"item-package-weight"]<= [Weight]
    ),
    {{"item-package-weight", Order.Ascending}}))
    ),
    #"Erweiterte Benutzerdefiniert" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "Benutzerdefiniert", {"sku", "item-package-weight", "unit-of-weight", "Package-Classification"}, {"Benutzerdefiniert.sku", "Benutzerdefiniert.item-package-weight", "Benutzerdefiniert.unit-of-weight", "Benutzerdefiniert.Package-Classification"})
in
    #"Erweiterte Benutzerdefiniert"

Have fun

Jimmy

also tried the following:

forumq-paint.jpg

tbl-fba-fees is tbl-weight in the sample data and the column weight<=(g) is weight 

everything else is the same

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @apoje 

as you have already tried, you have to go for the add.column where you execute a selectrows. In the third parameter you have to write something like this

each [ColumnForExactMatch]= "Value to be filtered" and [ColumnA]<= [ColumnB]

However it will return everything that matches the criterium, not only the closest. This could be achieved by doing a transformColumns ans selecting from the table found only the closest.

Have fun

Jimmy

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @apoje 

Can you provide some data samples?

Many Thanks

Mariusz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors