Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Burubear
Helper I
Helper I

Merging different columns using line breaks and "-"

Hi All,

I've search multiple responses in this forum and it seems like they can't solve the result I wanted (hopefully I've searched enough, sorry about that if this is already answered)

I have multiple columns with phrases which are updates made by different teams so there would be rows with nulls and blanks on them. I was wondering if there would be a formula or power query way to merge the columns wherein they can merge these phrases with line breaks as well as starting each phrases that are not null with "-"

Sample table would be below:

Team ATeam BTeam CResult Column
 nullnullnull
   null
 Company B will join the team meeting All employees will agree on clocking in and out -Company A will join the Company
-All employees will agree on clocking in and out
Company A will join the Company this JuneEvery employee is on Leavenull-Company A will join the Company this June
-Every employee is on Leave
 nullnullnull
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Burubear 

Here is the table. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

d1.png

You may go to 'Add Coumn' ribbon, click 'Custom Column', paste the following codes in the 'Custom column formula'.

=let
teama = 
if [TeamA]="" then "" else "-"&[TeamA],
teamb = 
if [TeamB]="" then "" else "-"&[TeamB],
teamc = 
if [TeamC]="" then "" else "-"&[TeamC],
list = List.Select({teama,teamb,teamc},each _<>"")
in
Text.Combine(list,"#(lf)")

d2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Burubear 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

b1.png

Here are the codes in 'Advanced Editor'.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("XY5BCoNADEWv8nHtJbR0U3oDcTHYj06dSURHy9y+YYpdCFmE/JeXdF1V1aX6+treNC5OMlp8fAh4qxekiUh0EZFMXkbDGssYl6CZ3H6oG1cSKhiCDrNhsFUnL+ieiv1UNxf1OU+T3/DYhea/H1zz/wIsMPGT7mD5tf8C", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [TeamA = _t, TeamB = _t, TeamC = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"TeamA", type text}, {"TeamB", type text}, {"TeamC", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each 
let
teama = 
teamb = 
teamc = 
in
)
in
    #"Added Custom"

Result:

b2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

sorry not that advance yet in codings and using advanced query editor, would you show which formula used/ buttons clicked  in each step

Hi, @Burubear 

Here is the table. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

d1.png

You may go to 'Add Coumn' ribbon, click 'Custom Column', paste the following codes in the 'Custom column formula'.

=let
teama = 
teamb = 
teamc = 
in

d2.png

Best Regards

Allan

thank you so much! it's now easier to understand for new PBI users like me. Works really well and got the result that I wanted!

Smauro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Burubear 

You could use a custom function:

fnMergeComments = (l as list) as nullable text =>
        let
            FixList = List.Accumulate( l, "", (s, c) => if (c??"") = "" then s else s & "#(lf)- " & c ),
            FixStart = if FixList = "" then null else Text.AfterDelimiter(FixList, "#(lf)")
        in
            FixStart,

#"Merge Comments" = Table.CombineColumns(PreviousStep ,{"Team A", "Team B", "Team C"},fnMergeComments,"Comments")
in
    #"Merge Comments"

where PreviousStep is your last query step.

Best,

Spyros

Feel free to connect with me:
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors